Mike (the Paladin)'s Reviews > Forest Mage

Forest Mage by Robin Hobb

Sep 19, 14

bookshelves: fantasy
Read on August 05, 2010

First let me say that I have another series on my shelf by Robin Hobb. When I started this trilogy I noted from others who had read it and reviewed it that several of them said it was far from Robin Hobb's best work. Several also said if you haven't read anything by Robin Hobb don't start here. Some said they would recommend these books only to Robin Hobb fans. From this I take hope.

I see many liked it a great deal...I see some people I usually agree with liked it a great deal...I liked the first book in the series fairly well (if interested see my review here)...

If Ms. Hobb should ever read this let me say, I'm sorry, but....

I really dislike, I almost hate this piece of c**p.

Dorthy Parker Quote: "This Is Not a Novel To Be Tossed Aside Lightly. It Should Be Thrown with Great Force"

The book was somewhere between two thirds and three quarters too long. It rambles slowly, is annoying, frustrating and redundant. There is a LONG first section where we are treated to a LONG rehash of the first volume in the series. After that we get a LONG, LONG, LONG loving description of the disintegration of the protagonists life and dreams. We "enjoy" the story of a lithe, strong, healthy young man as he gets (her word here) "fatter" and "fatter" and "fatter" (you see the forest mages are this way. They are "Great" persons. The fat men are "great" men the fat women are "great" women.) We get to revel in the loss of his fiance'. We are allowed to experience with him being disowned by his father (whom he suddenly realizes in a moment of clarity his mother fears. So much for the man he looked up to HIS WHOLE LIFE). The book is a LONG, DRAWN OUT, story of Nevare learning about and resisting the "magic"...of becoming a forest mage. It is a LONG, DRAWN OUT book full of scenes of crudity, cruelty, and animalistic behavior (though that word [especially in this case] is an insult to animals. I've never seen animals act as crudely or as cruelly as the people in this book). By the end of the book I was tired, disgusted, and felt as if I'd taken the long way around in a sewage treatment plant.

I didn't like it, if I could give it less than one star I would...sorry if you really liked it...this is my experience and my view of this novel.

Will I try to finish the trilogy? I don't know yet. I feel as if I should give it a chance as the first book was SOOOOO much better than this one. Had I bought this I would long ago have thrown it across the room and then placed it in my to be sold or traded pile. Should I try the third I will not drag myself to the finish if the first third or so is as bad as this one.

As I said I own and have on my shelf several of Ms. Hobbs books and I have seen good things about them. I know that I'd hate to read a review this poor about something I'd written. I assume this book simply wasn't written for me, but for those of you who do like it greatly. I'm happy for you and hope for better later.

***********************************************************

Update, I've decided. Why would I consider using any of my limited reading time to try and finish a trilogy when I hated the second book this much? NO I don't plan to follow up this book and read the third.
17 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forest Mage.

Lanica My advice to you about continuing the series or not...don't. I hate to leave things unread, and so I did finish this series. I hated the second and third books of this series for all the same reasons I hated the first book. On top of that she adds an unbelievable strong environmental theme in the third book that beats you over the head with 'save the trees' rhetoric that was enough to give me a migraine.

Don't waste your time. It doesn't get any better.

Lanica On the other hand, her Farseer Trilogy is perhaps the single best series I've ever read. That includes the Lord of the Rings and Enders Saga. Forget that you ever read this books and give her a fresh start with her good stuff.

Mike (the Paladin) I didn't (haven't) followed this book up. I actually wrote this some time ago but found some typos to correct when I was discussing the books with someone a while ago. I have another Hobb series buried on my shelves and intend to get to it...sometime. I simply have hundreds of books waiting and that series (I think I bought it all at once at one of my "favorite used book stores") has the misfortune of not being a priority. Hopefully I'll get to it fairly soon. That would be in the next couple of years LOL.

I noted the creeping environmental theme in this book...oh well. Life. Excuse me, I have to go hug a tree. :)

Kevin Xu I loved this book just for the fact that the main character's father did could not ever realize that it was the magic that made his son fat, so there was nothing could be done about it. LOL!

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget I loved some of Hobb's past series but agree with you on this one. I thought it was a huge snoozefest & don't plan to continue it.

message 6: by Leon (new) - added it

Leon Aldrich When I completely run out of books to read, I might revisit this trilogy. But the place to start with Hobbs is definitely her Farseer trilogy. You can't go wrong.

message 7: by Tessa (new)

Tessa Thanks, I'll skip it.

Mike (the Paladin) ...I sort of wish I'd known to. It is true that this is far from the best of her work. I liked the Assassin's Apprentice series better. Though, she still likes running her characters through emotional ringers.