Dawn Allbee's Reviews > Inside the Shadow City

Inside the Shadow City by Kirsten Miller

F_50x66
Aug 22, 10

Read in June, 2010

I've been searching for books for my well-read preteen. Specifically non-fantasy with strong female characters. This book was reviewed by the library online comic Unshelved as having enough girl-power "in nearly toxic levels for men".

All the characters in this juvenile book are strong and they keep you in suspense. Are the girls bad, con artists, or just simply a teen? I suppose my gaming buddies might say most of the group are "Chaotic Neutral".

It is hard to do any serious review without ruining all the twists and turns that are brought up as this group of girls explore a newly re-discovered subterranean tunnels under New York. Is Kiki good or bad? Are these girls just too smart and talented for their own good or con artists? Will they choose to help others or just themselves? These questions are constantly popping up and makes you reconsider your own definition of "good". I love it if for no other reason than it keeps me rethinking the characters whom are all very individual and well-written.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Shadow City.