honestly mem's Reviews > The Descent

The Descent by Jeff Long

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: speculative-fiction, personal-bookshelf, horror-thriller, fiction
Read in August, 2010

I'm not sure what the etiquette is for dropping f bombs in a review, so I'm just going to phrase it as gently as I know how: fuck this book.

1: Holy racism, Batman. Enough of the Italian stallions, the (ever unsympathetic, mind) gangster stereotypes, the brutish non-white others, and oh my God, that second chapter, what was that even. Oh, those poor, uncivilized Africans and their violent superstitions and their helpless childish minds and cultures, but at least they have given the nice, white, USAmerican nun a greater understanding of her own life. I also very much enjoyed this bit from the third chapter in which USA army major Elias Branch contemplates the war and genocide in Bosnia: "Branch did not want to save them, for they were savage and did not want to be saved." By enjoyed, I mean I wanted to rip the book in half.

2: Science does not work that way.

3: The narrative structure and the pacing of this book are equivalent disasters.

4: I seriously cannot break down all the ways in which I hate this book. It is a disaster. It is a mess. It is racist. It scrabbles toward and mimics meaning, but ultimately contains none. Stuffed with interesting concepts and engaging suggestions, it fails to adequately develop or explore any of them, leaving behind a superficial and pocked whole.

5: Seriously, fuck this book.
14 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Descent.

Stefan Bourgoin Wow. First off etiquette is to leave the f bomb out. Secondly, someone who has all of the animorph books in the "read" column needs to keep to themselves. Also, "holy _____, Batman", no matter what word fills the blank, is stupid