Chris 's Reviews > Sharpe's Tiger

1956959
Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from July 26 to August 01, 2011

Now that was a fun ride. In truth, for the first third or so I thought I was going to get rather bored, and I wasn't sure this book would be more than a 2-star, 3 at most. Matter of fact, right up until the end I thought I was looking at a 3-star, even when it did get interesting.

But Richard Sharpe is a brilliantly drawn character. He's a regular guy in the British army in 1799. He's crude and a bit wild and bored with the service. But when you get right down to it, the man is a good guy, mostly. Well, he's funny at least.

I listened to this on audio and the narrator was wonderful. He's British, so that fit the majority of the characters, but his other accents were just as good. Whether doing a Scot or an Irishman, a Frenchman or an Indian, he was great. I've noticed that there a couple different narrators for this, depending on which audio you get. The one I listened to was done by William Gaminara. Honestly, he might have made the difference when I finally decided to raise this to a 4-star review.

To be honest, I'm not sure how many of the 20 other Sharpe novels I'll get to in the near future, but my experience with the first one (chronologically, at least) is a pretty good indication that I'll keep them on radar. I like Sharpe well enough to want to follow more of his adventures, and I like Cornwell's writing well enough to keep reading.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sharpe's Tiger.

Comments (showing 1-4)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 4: by Terri (new) - added it

Terri hey cool. :) Cornwell for Chris. Warming up for a potential The last Kingdom group read in September?

Chris Could be. That's one I'm looking forward to. This one is different - my first of the Sharpe books.

message 2: by Jim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jim I've read 2 now & have the first 5. I'm going to keep reading them, but might see about the audio books since you liked it so well.

There's also a PBS series based on the books. We used to get tapes of them from the library & caught some others. They were good, too.

Chris I've seen that Netflix has the series on DVD. I might have to check them out sometime.