God O'Wax's Reviews > Golden

Golden by Cameron Dokey

190879
Aug 02, 10

I liked the idea of this book, but I didn't really like the book itself. Mostly, my problem came from the writing style which was overly complicated to no end. It basically felt to me that the author took a story of no more than 50 pages and whipped it up into a longer tale by making the sentences more convoluted and long winded than necessary. AS for the story itself, I liked the original premise, but I felt it wasn't developed correctly...the first half and the second half felt like entirely different stories, with the first showing a great deal of promise until it was suddenly mashed into the second, more rapunzel-themed part. I thought it was very unclear why rapunzel needed to be the one saving the girl, and how she went about it was equally random. Finally, the wizard who set the curse in the first place reacted completely out of proportion, and in doing so ruined many lives...and no one seems to think that he should be hunted down and made to answer which I find suspect. Might appeal to teens as a remake of rapunzel, but i don;t see what sets it apart from other retold tales that would make me recommend this one in particular.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Golden.