Beth's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Aug 16, 10

bookshelves: zz2010-summer-challenge, fiction, zread-2010, scifi-fantasy, series, young-adult
Read from August 10 to 16, 2010

First, let me say I am just now starting to read YA books. I was not thrilled by Twilight so that turned me off most YA books. However, like I tell my grandchildren about trying foods they don’t like again and again, I have to remember to keep trying different genres of books I think I don’t like. I have read several books lately that were classified as Young Adult that I enjoyed very much. So once again I learn not to limit myself. Hunger Games is a good book, regardless of the category you put it in. It is raw, honest and shows a triumph of spirit. It has enough depth and character with great development and excitement to keep most people YA and Adults alike engrossed in the story.
Another reason I have been hesitant to start this book, is the concept of the plot itself. Innocent young people being thrown in together to fight to the death for entertainment, NOPE, not my cup of tea. I have too large of a soft spot for children and teenagers. BUT, I got pulled in quickly. I just had to know what was going to happen next. Who would fare well and who would fail, who would Katniss have to face, who would she have to kill, how would the characters handle these conflicts. And then throw in there a love story that doesn’t follow the normal love story lines and I was hooked.
As for being a futuristic book, that wasn’t what I expected either. Instead of my idea of the future, it was almost medieval. The clothes, the woods, the villages all feel old. Then the Capitol brings it all up to date and into the future.
All in all a great book, regardless of the genre you put it in. And I will be reading Catching the Fire very soon. Hopefully I can fit it into the next challenge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.