Andrew's Reviews > Killing Pablo : The hunt for the richest, most powerful criminal in history

Killing Pablo  by Mark Bowden

M_50x66
Aug 09, 10

bookshelves: non-fiction, 2010
Read from August 02 to 08, 2010 — I own a copy

As the title suggests, this book tells the tale of the manhunt for Colombian Cartel leader Pablo Escobar. It also provides a fascinating insight into his personality and how he rose to such a dominant position of power in Colombia and in particular his birthplace of Medellin.

The book does contain a great deal of politics but this in no way detracts from the book and could arguably even add to the level of intrigue and informativeness of the book. It lends a level of understanding of the political machinations of a nations such as Colombia and the degree to which corrupt politicians will go in order to satisfy their own agenda.

There is also some very interesting information on the manner in which counter surveillance teams worked in order to track and eventually kill Pablo Escobar.

The book lacked just slightly in the degree to which I felt gripped although I was certainly on the edge of my seat for the last couple of dozen pages or so. This is possibly due to Mark Bowdens style of writing which perhaps could be classed as more journalistic, keeping the reader informed, rather than providing a fly by the seat of your pants thriller.

This was a good book which is well written in terms of the information provided, although it may not provide you with the levels of excitement that are expected on initially picking it up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Killing Pablo .