Jasmin's Reviews > Secrets of a Summer Night

Secrets of a Summer Night by Lisa Kleypas

Aug 07, 10

bookshelves: romance, five-stars, historical-fiction, historical-romance, fiction, humor, favorites, reviewed-by-me
Recommended for: Everyone who wants a good romantic read
Read from August 02 to 03, 2010

"Everytime I see you," he murmured,"I think you couldn't possibly become any more beautiful - and you always prove me wrong." Simon Hunt to Annabelle Peyton

"Everytime I read a Kleypas," I murmer, "I think you couldn't possibly become even better - and you always prove me wrong." Jasmin, yours truly to Lisa Kleypas

Secrets of a Summer Night, the first book in the Wallflower series by Lisa Kleypas is a touching story of love that would make you believe that two people as different as the sun and the moon could find on something to agree about - which is love.

This book, also introduces us to the wallflowers, a group of ladies who are literally wallflowers, not because of their lack of beauty, but because one has no dowry, the other is extremely shy and the two others are Americans. Lisa Kleypas not only introduces us to a love that knows no boundaries, but also to a kinship equaling that of true sisters for the wallflowers, will form a little husband catching club and form an inspiring friendship as well.

Annabelle, the oldest wallflower, twenty five to be precise is out for her last season. (To enter another season would be futile and absurd for then she would be considered a spinster) Being in the middle of financial crisis, she has to, no, she MUST find herself a husband. She may possess unquantifiable allure, but she has no dowry to speak of, thus her being a wallflower.

Simon Hunt has always been interested in Annabelle. He held her deep in his heart for years, but him not being a peer would not be enough for any lady of society. He may have gained a fortune for himself, but it still won't make him a peer.

So, Simon will employ decent tricks and tactics to capture himself his queen and finally declare checkmate :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets of a Summer Night.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Hey Jasmin! Just checking that you have read Again the Magic which comes before this. It's a Wallflower "prequel".

message 2: by abi (new) - rated it 5 stars

abi rafon are you enjoying it? its a good story, isn't it?

Jasmin @ate jayne, i haven't.

@abi, i am enjoying. just a few pages left :)

Dina Great review, Jasmin. Loved the intro! :)

Jasmin thanks D! :)

message 6: by new_user (new)

new_user Yeah, read Again the Magic so you can anticipate Westcliff's story. :D

message 7: by Jasmin (last edited Aug 07, 2010 08:00PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jasmin @new_user, awww, should i have read "again the magic" first? can't wait to read the next ones!! and Why did they make this book #1 in the series, when theres a prequeeel? :)

@z, pls do. and i hope u wont regret the experience :)

message 8: by Nissie (new)

Nissie Great review! I have a few Lisa Kleypas books that I haven't gotten around to reading yet,but after all the wonderful things I've read about her in GR,I'm gonna have to dig them out of the pile and get to it!!

Jasmin @nissie, go ahead and do it. for me, Kleypas is always a lovely experience. :)

message 10: by new_user (new)

new_user Zosia, I don't think you'll be disappointed. ;)

Jasmin, I don't think it's any biggie if you read it after this one instead. It's kind of a distant connection, just recurring characters. I think the author wrote that one first, and then some time later decided to revisit that family.

Katherine The whole series is wonderful. I just finished the last and will miss all the Wallflowers. Simon is my favorite hero though.

message 12: by new_user (new)

new_user What! Why no Kleypas in Australia? LOL.

Jasmin @new user thanks for easing my worries.

@z, i hope they would come soon so you could feel the Kleypas experience :)

Ronyell Awesome review Jasmin!