Amy's Reviews > The Kalahari Typing School for Men

The Kalahari Typing School for Men by Alexander McCall Smith

Aug 01, 10

bookshelves: series
Read in April, 2010

I think it's incorrect that many people consider these Mystery Novels. Yes, there's the Detective Agency in the title; however, these novels are much less about solving cases than they are a study of the characters, and praise of tea and the "old Bostwana morality". And that's really fine, if that's what you want in a book. But, when I read a mystery, I expect to find out why a child smells like he's been raised by lions; if the case involves 4 suitors, I'd like to learn about all 4 suitors before the case is closed; if a rival detective agency opens across town in the first chapter of the book and then closes in the final chapter of the book, I'd like for there to be some explanation in the middle of the book that would help me care at all about that. Also, if there are two assistants in the garage, I would like to know both of their names. So, overall, I would have to say that this book really exemplifies all of the issues I have with the series, and really helped me come to the conclusion that I just don't like it. Which, actually, would be the one point in its favor.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Kalahari Typing School for Men.