Chris Friend's Reviews > Ender's Shadow

Ender's Shadow by Orson Scott Card

Feb 05, 08

Recommended for: Everyone. That's right.
Read in February, 2008

Wow.

I just cried while listening to an audio book. Even more amazing is that this book was the re-telling of a story I've already read, only told from a different perspective. Orson Scott Card is amazing. I'm now looking forward to the other books in the shadow series.

The audiobook was, like all others in this terrific series, fantastically well-executed. Full-cast reading, but no audio effects. Nothing is done to cheapen the conveyance of the story, but oh so much is done to elevate it beyond masterful storytelling into a beautiful work of art. Card himself asserts in his afterword that the audiobook version is the best presentation of his story, superior to reading the book in print or to the potentially forthcoming film version of Ender's Game, which will be a blend of this book and that one.

The pacing is excellent, the background is rich and engaging, and the characters are deeply complex and consistent. Elements of the story that are shared with Ender's Game aren't repetitive but rather simply familiar. It's a great, great story.

One minor glitch I noticed: At one point, Bean realizes the truth of something, then talks himself out of it. Later on, he suddenly believes it again without going through the mental deliberations to switch his opinion again. I got over it, but it needed a page or two of thinking to really be believed.

But that's it. The rest is amazing.
6 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ender's Shadow.

Cecile Echegoyen We listen to Ender's Game while traveling in Spain and was happily surprised. I had forgotten how much I liked it until I heard that it's going to be a movie, so I'd like to read the others.