Sarah Maddaford's Reviews > Angelfire

Angelfire by Courtney Allison Moulton

Feb 15, 11

bookshelves: angels, arc, can-be-read-alone, creatures, fantasy, modern, mythology-misc, mythology-biblical, romance, supernatural, young-adult
Read from February 07 to 11, 2011

This story reminded me a lot of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Teenage girl finds out that she is the only one who can fight things that go bump in the night. She meets an immortal guy for whom she isn't supposed to develop feelings.

Even with all of the similarities, I think the differences made it well worth reading. For one, Ellie isn't great in school, but she isn't as ditzy as Buffy was in the beginning. So far, her core group of friends is being kept out of the loop of her night time adventures. The librarian she works with is an immortal like Will, but he isn't the one who teaches her how to fight. He's actually a fairly passive character for most of the book. I would have preferred to see more of his abilities, but maybe that will happen in the next book. The fact that Ellie leaves her home town in order to fight reapers is another good difference. Also, the past life memories make for a truly intriguing plot device. I can't imagine remembering how I died much less facing a creature that had killed me.

All in all, the mythology has a good start and is extremely interesting so far. I am suspicious about Ellie's father and I really want to know what his problem is. I like the role the angels play, but I really wish Michael hadn't said anything to Will. I want to know more about past Guardians especially whether they felt the same way for her that Will does. I also want to see how old mythology fits in with the Preliator and reapers, but I can live without that as long as the battles continue to be awesome.

There's quite a bit of violence in this book. At least one person gets ripped apart and several others are killed fairly graphically. Will and Ellie get injured and cause some massive injuries to reapers. It's not as gory as some adult books, but it doesn't hold back on the descriptions either. There isn't any sex, but there is some making out and you can tell the characters want more because the tension is thick. There's some cursing, but I don't remember the f-bomb being dropped. Frankly, I talked the same way in high school so it's not very shocking language.

I think the last line, in combination with the last few paragraphs, may have been channeling Buffy the Vampire Slayer a bit too much. The cover is truly awesome though. I absolutely love her red hair.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Angelfire.