Candice's Reviews > Stuff Christians Like

Stuff Christians Like by Jon Acuff

Aug 01, 10

Read in August, 2010

I picked up this little treat at the Echo Media Conference I attended last week in Dallas, TX. I had the privilege of hearing Jon Acuff speak in person at the conference. His work is mostly satirical but leaves you with a final chapter of tender seriousness. This man is passionate about his love for God, his love for his wife and his kids, and the humor he happens to find in the way we do "church" and "Christianity" in 2010. (Make no mistake though his humor isn't 80s cheesy, it's completely up to date and relevant, i.e. his chapter called "Booty, God, Booty.") My favorite line in the book: "Love is slow and messy." I have a couple of you Goodreads buddies specifically in mind to borrow my copy. But get your hands on it before then if you can, it took me just 2 days to read; I haven't had a book that good and easy to read in quite a while.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stuff Christians Like.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Heidi I've heard of this guy! If he's the one I'm thinking of he has a website with the same title. Love it. He has a really funny blog about saving seats in church using about 47 hymnals and bulletins, your car keys, and stretching your coat across the pew to make sure people know they are not allowed to sit there. Very sarcastic and fun.

Candice Yes it's the same guy. Some real funny stuff. Makes you consider how we may have dumbed ourselves down as Christians in order to be accepted into this community. And by "we" I mean "other people" ;) Can't wait for you to borrow it!