Liralen's Reviews > Wasted: A Memoir of Anorexia and Bulimia

Wasted by Marya Hornbacher

Honestly, I'm not sure how to review this book. In some respects, yes, it's quite a good book. In other respects, I desperately wish that this was not the one book about eating disorders that I am sure to find in any library.

The author is clearly a talented writer. I'm not disputing that, and in other circumstances I might give the book a higher rating for that reason. The book is, however, pretty self-indugent and self-important.

The author doesn't hold back. I appreciate that in memoirs. It is, however, an extremely triggering book. I own this book, but I don't keep it in my bookcase: I keep it piled under sweaters in my closet. I don't need to be tempted every time I look for a book to read. It's probably a good read for people who don't have (or lean towards) eating disorders, but it runs the risk of letting people think that an eating disorder isn't serious if the individual isn't 52 pounds. It's definitely not a healthy book for the eating-disordered.

It's an interesting book. It's just not one that I would recommend.

Original review August 2010; ETA April 2015: Just ran across this review from 1998. Worth linking to here for its perspective.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wasted.