Victoria Klein's Reviews > The Green Bride Guide: How to Create an Earth-Friendly Wedding on Any Budget

The Green Bride Guide by Kate L. Harrison

Aug 01, 10

Read in December, 2008

When I was young, I dreamed about having one of those big, fancy weddings that you see in celebrity magazines … until my parents got divorced when I was 9. After that, the idea of marriage was deeply tainted for me. Even after meeting my current beau of 4 years, I wasn’t sure if marriage was ever going to be the right thing for me.

Thankfully, I’ve found a love that makes me feel safe and inspired – truly marriage material. He hasn’t proposed yet, but we have talked a lot about it and we both know it is on the horizon. Being the immense eco-geek that I am, imaging me glee when I heard that The Green Bride Guide: How to Create an Earth-Friendly Wedding on Any Budget was just about to hit bookshelves!

If you are looking for an image-heavy, visually-focused book, then The Green Bride Guide isn’t for you. However, if you want loads of helpful information, creative suggestions, and sustainable options for every budget, then this is your eco-wedding bible! I can only imagine how long it took author Kate L. Harrison to gather all of the info for this book, but we are all deeply indebted to her.

Being on the cusp of preparing for my own earth-friendly wedding (within the next 5 years), this book will have a special place in my library. Though every ounce of info is priceless, my favorite chapters include: Rules of Engagement (which will be vital hear soon, I bet), Here Comes the Eco-Chic Bride (I am a fashion-geek as well), Going Green – Transportation and Guest Comfort, Gastronomically Green – Food and Drink, and Giving and Receiving Green.

Another immensely helpful aspect of the book are the detailed questionnaire worksheets in the Appendix, used to quiz everyone from the florist to the jeweler about their sustainable practices and supplies. Speaking of useful resources, there are a number of references to the book’s companion website, TheGreenBrideGuide.com, as well. You’ll find a constantly updated list of links to company websites, other useful books, and – most importantly – photos and commentary from couples who threw their own eco-friendly weddings.

The Green Bride Guide: How to Create an Earth-Friendly Wedding on Any Budget is nothing short of a goldmine of information for any couple. Needless to say, you can expect more wedding-related posts here on Victoria-E.com in the next year as I paw through the countless brands and ideas available in this book (and trapped in my creative mind). Until then, make sure to get your hands on a copy of The Green Bride Guide: How to Create an Earth-Friendly Wedding on Any Budget; Kate did a fantastic job writing it and deserves mammoth amounts of attention and thanks.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Green Bride Guide.