Susan's Reviews > Shadow's Edge

Shadow's Edge by Brent Weeks

1951999
Aug 01, 2010

Read in July, 2010

(same review as for book 1) I'll have to review the three books of the trilogy together, because the distinctions between #1, #2 and #3 blur for me. I found these on the "staff recommends" shelf at my locally owned bookstore, which is always a good start. The staffer said that people often buy the first, then come back for the second and third. With good reason, I think!

The characters are fantastic. They change and grow, sometimes in really unexpected ways. The conflicts are many and varied, but not confusing. There's magic, though you don't encounter it right away. Items, actions, and history unique to this world are often referenced when it's natural, but not explained till some time later when the explanation makes sense. There are surprises hidden from both the reader and the characters that will blow you away.

As for content, the best explanation I can give is that in the way that Sara Paretsky's serious woman detective V.I. Warshawski is to Janet Evanovich's humorous woman detective Stephanie Plum, Brent Weeks' serious assassin Kylar Stern is to Stephen Brust's fun assassin Vlad Taltos. Fantastic stuff.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Shadow's Edge.