Shawna's Reviews > Whisper Falls

Whisper Falls by Toni Blake

Dec 23, 10

bookshelves: contemporary-romance, series-destiny, author-toni-blake-lacey-alexander, small-town-lovin, bikers-sexy-as-sin, hero-bad-boy-playboy-player, favorite-romance-series, tattoos-piercings-body-art, arc-review-copy-galley, netgalley, kindle, brothers-sisters-cousins-family, enemies-to-lovers-opposites-attract, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, made-me-cry, sweet-romance-left-smile-on-my-face, best-fave-reads-of-2010, hero-im-gaga-over, hh-disfigured-injured-scarred-ill, heroine-kickass-spirited-strong, heroine-i-adore, hero-stud-mantel-hall-of-fame, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-mix-of-alpha-beta, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, animals-matter, favorites, favorite-romance-couple-hh-pairings, i-read-kindle, 2010-reads, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hh-physical-mental-disability-ill, hh-sweet-nice-paired-vs-gruff-cynic, humorous-at-times-or-fluffy-fun, why-do-good-girls-like-bad-boys, 5-stars, hero-tattalizing, bikes-grease-monkey-hot-rods-racer, hero-recluse-loner-lonewolf, hero-silent-quiet-type-reticent, heroine-good-girl-nice, best-endings-epilogues, hero-wrong-side-of-the-tracks
Recommended for: Fans of steamy contemporary romance & tattooed bad boy heroes
Read from December 15 to 16, 2010

5 stars – Contemporary Romance

Reading Toni Blake's Destiny series is like coming home and visiting with dear friends, and Whisper Falls is my favorite book in the series so far, which is really saying something considering how much I enjoyed the first two books. There seems to be a noticeable trend lately in contemporary romance of characters returning to their small hometowns, but this has more depth than most, making it one of the better series. There are several attributes about the Destiny series that I love, including its perfect balance of charm, humor, drama, and steamy romance. But one of the strongest elements is its genuine characters with realistic flaws, and Lucky and Tessa are by far my favorite hero and heroine and romantic couple of the series.

Tessa Sheridan is back in her hometown of Destiny, Ohio seeking a serene fresh start to recuperate from a debilitating illness that caused her thriving big city interior design career to disintegrate. She just wants peace and privacy living in her remote cabin in the woods, and the last thing she expected was to have a hot, tall, muscled, long-haired, tattooed, and possibly dangerous biker for her new neighbor. Tessa's surprised to discover that he's Lucky Romo, Destiny's long lost, notorious bad boy, but even more shocking is the powerful, yet unwanted sexual attraction she feels toward him.

Lucky Romo left Destiny years ago without a word to anyone, and his whereabouts since have been a subject of shady speculation. Now he's back in the hometown that caused him so much grief as a teen and that he once swore he'd never return to, for mysterious reasons. Lucky hires Tessa to redecorate his house, and as they spend time together, a friendship develops and the explosive attraction between them ignites. Lucky has a dark, painful past that he'd like to forget and keep private, but can Tessa ever truly trust him without knowing his secrets? And is it too late for Lucky to reconcile with his family, especially his angry older brother Mike, who also happens to be a dedicated local cop?

Tessa and Lucky have combustible chemistry, but they also complement each other in so many ways. They're both surprised to find themselves attracted to someone so different than their usual type, but their emotional connection reinforces the strong physical desire they feel for each other. Tessa admires Lucky's artistic talent and the way he's found success doing what he loves with his custom bike painting business. She's determined to live life to the fullest and not let her disease control her or dictate who she is, and her emotional strength, positivity, and zest for experiencing all of life's pleasures is inspiring to Lucky. Tessa grows more liberated and daring because of her relationship with Lucky, and he becomes less guarded and more open with his feelings.

The romance between Tessa and Lucky was sexy, touching, fun, sweet, and steamy, and the relationship conflict was realistic, especially when Lucky's dark past endangers the trust and sanctuary they've found in each other. There were so many tender, heartfelt, and romantic moments between them. I loved when he insisted on taking care of her, the sweet scene in the park, and the sexy way he called her “hot stuff”. And it has one of the most sigh-worthy, romantic, and touching endings that I've read.

Tessa's cheerful attitude despite her health adversity was admirable, and I loved how she found encouragement from watching Ellen's TV show and optimistic life quotes. I definitely agree that laughter and dancing are powerful therapies and two of life's greatest pleasures.

Whisper Falls is another wonderful, entertaining story with great characters from talented author Toni Blake, and I highly recommend it for fans of hot, emotional contemporary romance, especially those who love sexy, sweet bad boy heroes.

This was an ARC, received courtesy of NetGalley.com. And I’d like to give a special appreciation to Lindsey Faber, Toni Blake’s personal assistant, for her perseverance in getting me a copy. Thanks Lindsey!

38 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Whisper Falls.

12/15/2010
60.0% "Lovin' it! Lucky is such a sexy, sweet bad boy!" 2 comments
12/16/2010
100.0% "Wonderful! Review to come."

Kathleen LMAO, I'm following you around Shawna because this IS my next book to read.

♡Karlyn P♡ Cant wait to read your review Shawna. I loved the relationship between Lucky and Tessa!

Mahlet Lucky woman! Keep us posted ;)

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick I love this series, Shawna! Great review.

Shawna You mean you're not stalking me, Kathleen? Ahhh, I'm crushed, LOL! :)

I loved it KarLyn! Lucky and Tessa were such a great couple, and there were so many sweet, romantic moments between them.

It's great, Mahlet!

Me too, Dhes! Thanks!

Lisa Great review....hard to pick a favorite when they are all so good :)

Lindsey Faber Aw, thanks for the shout out! It was my pleasure. I'm glad you enjoyed it, and this makes me even more excited to read it myself (can you believe I haven't yet??)

♡Karlyn P♡ I don't know how to pick a fav in this series! I just know this is another winner. Lucky will be talked about for along time, and I'm anxious to have that conversation.

message 9: by TJ (new) - added it

TJ Great review Shawna, I had not heard of this series. Can this one be read on its own or would I need to start with the first?

UniquelyMoi ~ 1-Click RockChick **raises hand** I love this series.

message 11: by ♡Karlyn P♡ (last edited Dec 20, 2010 10:39AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

♡Karlyn P♡ Tammy wrote: "Great review Shawna, I had not heard of this series. Can this one be read on its own or would I need to start with the first?"

Tammy, it can easily be read as a stand-alone.

message 12: by MelissaB (new) - added it

MelissaB Great review Shawna! Sounds good.

Kathleen I'm still reading away on Whisper Falls. While reading your fantastic review I was thinking, yep, uh huh because I'm feeling the same way you did as I am reading this story. The only problem is when I finish reading it's gonna be hard to write my little review because you hit everything and more already lol!

Shawna Thanks, ladies! *hugs*

It's definitely hard to pick a favorite since they're all so good. I loved Jenny and Mick together in One Reckless Summer and Sugar Creek was a fun, sexy read. There are so many sweet, sigh moments between Tessa and Lucky in this, and he made me melt like butter several times.

Lindsey, I can't believe you haven't read it yet?! LOL!

Tammy, I agree with KarLyn that this works fine as a stand-alone read, but I highly recommend the previous two books as well 'cause they're just so darn good!

LOL, Kathleen! I'm glad you're enjoying it, too! I look forward to reading your review.

Lindsey Faber Shawna wrote: "Lindsey, I can't believe you haven't read it yet?! LOL!"

I know! Toni's been offering to let me read it for months - she thinks I'm nuts. ;) But when I read the books too early it kills some of the release excitement - I like to read when everyone else is reading so we can all share in the experience. Plus, if I read it early it just makes the wait for the next one longer! ;)

Shawna Well, it definitely makes the wait for the next book seem longer. I'm anxious for firefighter Logan's story now!

message 17: by Diana~ (new) - added it

Diana~ Love the review Shawna! Looking forward to reading this when it comes out.

Shawna Thanks, Diana! It think you'll love it!

Auntee How did I miss this?

I'm going to read it after I write my review (let's see if we agree)!;)

Just checking to see if you had a pic for Lucky (lol!)

Shawna LOL! No, I couldn't quite find the right hottie pic fitting for Lucky. I'm looking forward to your review and especially your Lucky pic! :)

Auntee Love the review, Shawna--and you're right, that ending was so sweet!:)

Shawna Thanks, Auntee! I loved the ending. It was soooo incredibly romantic. *sigh*

Marisol I think of the 3 so far this one is my favorite. The scene with Lucky & Tessa & the Jack Johnson song... omg!

Shawna Yep, that was a fantastic scene!