Shawna's Reviews > The Surrender of a Lady

The Surrender of a Lady by Tiffany Clare

Jan 01, 2011

bookshelves: historical-romance, harem-sheikh-sultan-romance, captive-kidnapped-hostage-slave, hh-widow-or-widower, historical-romance-victorian, exotic-wild-settings-survivor-lovin, rt-book-reviews-top-pick, angsty-dark-heavy-lotsa-drama, heroine-abused-traumatic-past-rape, pregnancy-fertility-baby-kids-drama, author-tiffany-clare, favorite-beautiful-lush-cool-covers, hero-i-wanna-smack, hero-alpha‎, hero-stalk-me-baby-possessive, hero-cad-rake-rogue‎-scoundrel, heroine-courtesan-prostitute-escort, hh-aristocracy-nobility-royalty, i-read-no-longer-own-sold-swapped, hh-social-class-wealth-matters, hero-addict-excon-lawtrouble-thief, hero-abused-scarred-tortured-angst, hero-cold-cruelbrute-dark-dangerous, hero-gentleman, heroine-beautiful-bombshell, hh-addiction-recovery-sobriety, star-crossed-lovers, wager, 2011-reads, hero-not-enough-groveling, hh-big-constant-misunderstandings, hh-bad-communication-conflict-mgmt, controversial-memorable-event-scene, erotica-dark-psychological-taboo, 4-stars, dubious-consent-force-nonconsensual, hero-asshat-award-hall-of-shame, hero-bad-guy-ruthless-villainous, unrequited-love-crush
Recommended for: Fans of unconventional, emotional, dark historical/harem romances
Read from December 31, 2010 to January 01, 2011

4 stars – Historical/Victorian/Harem Romance

I’m slightly apprehensive about reviewing this because I know The Surrender of a Lady probably won’t work for many traditional romance readers, but this represents how I feel about it, so just take from this what you will.

Solely as a romance, I didn’t love it, mainly because there isn’t much “romance” expressed between the H/h, but instead reminiscence of their past, youthful courtship and lost love, explosive desire, mutual longing, emotional conflict, sexual power struggles, and dark obsession. But as a saga of the heroine’s suffering and sexual journey, discovery, and transformation from proper English lady Elena to prized Harem courtesan Jinan as means for survival and sacrifice, it’s compelling, daring, emotive, provocative, sensual, moving, and completely captivating.

I loved the exotic setting, unique story, beautiful writing, quick pacing, and intriguing characters. My only real complaint is that the hero, Griffin, Marquess of Rothburn, was an utter ass, and his actions were selfish, brutish, obsessive, domineering, and hypocritical. I think if there had been deeper romantic development between Elena/Jinan and Griffin or further details of their past relationship, I would have better understood his compulsion and found their erotic passion, intrinsic connection, and intense yearning a bit more believable. The ending is rather abrupt, but thankfully the epilogue provided a satisfying HEA.

This was a great debut read, and I’m looking forward to Tiffany Clare’s upcoming books, The Seduction of His Wife and The Secret Desires of a Governess, both of which have appealing and seemingly more conventional storylines.

27 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Surrender of a Lady.

01/01/2011 page 336
100.0% "Riveting...review to come."

message 1: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth Wow.. this sounds really dark and interesting Shawna.. the reviews have me intrigued! I am anxious to see what you think of it!

message 2: by Mitzi (new) - added it

Mitzi It seems everyone hates it or loves it.....have it on my wishlist and can't wait to read your review.

message 3: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I've just added it, ticks alot of my 'favourite things' boxes.

message 4: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne Ladies there's an excerpt and a jolly good one at that over on Tiffany's website:)

Shawna It was definitely a dark, interesting, and unconventional romance, but I really liked it. It would have been a 5 star read if the hero hadn't been such a jerk and if there had been just a bit more romance between the H/h.

message 6: by ♥ Beth (new)

♥ Beth Thanks Shawna,great review and definitely something I might want to read.

message 7: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Nice review Shawna! Not for me though.

message 8: by Lisa (last edited Jan 01, 2011 04:26PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa Great review! I just didn't know what to say about this one but you summed it up great. I am anxious for her next books as well as they sound a bit more traditional and I hope people that hated this book give those ones a try b/c Clares writing was great

message 9: by Diana~ (new)

Diana~ Very nice review Shawna! Looking forward to reading this one. :)

message 10: by seton (new) - added it

seton Great review, Shawna!

I agree w/ Mitzi that this is a love it/hate it book.

message 11: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Great review Shawna! I will have to think about this one.

message 12: by Adrienne (new)

Adrienne I'm planning on reading it. As you know doesn't bother me if the HEA is only weak or non-existant.

Shawna Thanks, ladies! It's probably not for everyone's taste, but I really liked it, especially the uniqueness and dark, dramatic elements. And I was very impressed by Tiffany Clare's writing and look forward to her next two books.

message 14: by Dina (new)

Dina AgentScully wrote: "Nice review Shawna! Not for me though."

Ditto. :)

message 15: by seton (new) - added it

seton Shawna wrote: "Seton, Are you the "Seton" TC referred to in the author's acknowledgment in this? If so, that's very cool! "

LOL, yep, that's me! I'm always surprised at how many peeps read the acknowledgements :-)

message 16: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Wow Seton that's awesome! what did you do - help with editing the smut scenes? :-)

message 17: by Shawna (last edited Jan 02, 2011 11:25AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shawna I always read the author's dedications, acknowledgments, notes, etc. 'cause it seems that there is usually some fascinating, useful tidbits to learn that way. Very awesome indeed, Seton! I had an Elf "I know her" moment when I read it, LOL!

UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish Great review! I agree about author notes. You always almost always find something insightful, or totally confusing but amusing, in them.

Shawna Thanks, Dhes! Definitely!

message 20: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara Great review :) Maybe I should finish it :S I think I made it about halfway through and gave up. There was NO romance up until that point at least. If I pick it up again I probably should expect very little romance?

Shawna Thanks, Tara! There are emotional, volatile sex scenes between the H/h, but not really much "romance/love" between them until the end of the book.

Thanks, Sarah! I understand and that seems to be the case for many romance readers.