Brandy's Reviews > The Unforgiving Minute: A Soldier's Education

The Unforgiving Minute by Craig M. Mullaney

Aug 17, 10

Read from August 01 to 17, 2010

Being an Afghanistan vet, it was great to read a book that I could relate to more often than not. Granted the author was an officer, it was good to see it from another point of view.

I do feel, however, that some parts of his book are dragged out more than what they should have been. For example, his time at Oxford, while quite the accomplishment, was not the most intriguing nor completely relevant to his 'unforgiving minute'.

I took to heart when he described his transition from Afghanistan to life back in the States. It reminded me of how difficult it was to do just that (although his was much rougher than mine). It also reminded me of how much I hated the constant questions of "what was it like?" and "are you glad to be home?" and others to that effect. It also reminds me of how forgotten the Soldiers are in Afghanistan. I hate being referred to interchangably with Iraq vets.

Overall I think this is a great book for those that are curious about the life of a West Point student/grad and the forgotten war in Afghanistan. It allows the reader to experience the development, joys, and frustrations of a 21st century Soldier.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Unforgiving Minute.

08/01/2010 page 50