Carol's Reviews > West of Here

West of Here by Jonathan Evison

Aug 02, 10

Read on August 01, 2010

This book was raved about in a program at our annual Connecticut Library Association conference presented by publishers featuring the hot books due to be published. After hearing the enthusiastic raves about West of Here, I vowed I'd get an ARC and read it before it's published in Feb. 2011.

Jonathan Evison has got great potential in my book. I really loved the story, characters and setting and Evison does a fine job of evoking all of these. I like hearing and seeing the story from the two different viewpoints of time, 1890's and 2006. Evison is colorful in speech and humorous. So why just "I liked it" rather than you've got to read this. Coming in just under 500 pages, there's a time commitment here that I couldn't quite warrant. Also, like others that have added their two cents before me, I did find myself being distracted and a bit confused as to where I was at times. This even though each chapter is clearly marked as to time.

Given all, I'd still say to read it. Others have found it excellent and it could be I'm being too critical. I certainly wouldn't mind reading more by this author. And I would love to visit the area he so clearly draws, Washington State and its glorious mountains. I'll be checking back to see what others have to say.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read West of Here.