Jeff Beal's Reviews > Belgarath The Sorcerer

M_50x66
Aug 19, 10

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from August 01 to 16, 2010

I read the Belgariad and the Malloreon cycles several years ago, and really enjoyed them. As a prequel to those series, I thought this was only decent. It was interesting to see some of the story from before those series began, but there wasn't really that much to this book. The characters were for the most part fairly flat. The book was ostensibly the autobiography of the 5,000 (more?) year old "Eternal Man" Belgarath, so there weren't very many characters who were in the story for very long, but even they were pretty much without exception caricatures.

As far as plot goes, there wasn't much there. It was pretty interesting up through the "cracking of the world", but after that, almost nothing happened! There were only two major events that were somewhat interesting after that -- the voyage of Cherek Bear-Shoulders and the battle of Vo Mimbre. The rather heavy-handed role of fate in the role of the two "possibilities" in the plot made even those conflicts utterly devoid of anything resembling excitement.

There were also aspects of the writing that I found rather tiresome. I was listening to it on my commute to and from work, and it took several weeks to complete (30 hours of audio). Even with my reading of this book so spread out, though, I noticed that the Edding's were fairly repetitive in some of their descriptions. For example, almost every time they introduced a new member of the Borun dynasty, they pointed out how they showed their "Dryad heritage".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Belgarath The Sorcerer.