Joseph's Reviews > Brideshead Revisited

Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh

Aug 26, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from August 01 to 19, 2010 — I own a copy, read count: 2

I'm trying, and failing, to imagine whatever might have compelled anyone to try to teach this book in a high school English class. I still have the copy of Brideshead Revisited that I was using in my 1993 English class, and while I have vague memories of not liking the book, my handwritten notes make it perfectly plain that I wasn't even remotely ready to read the book.

To be totally truthful, there are still parts of the novel I don't totally understand. For whatever reason, the social mores of a hundred years ago are far more incomprehensible than those of four hundred or a thousand years ago. But to expect a high schooler to think critically about lost innocence and the betrayal of one's youthful ideals seems more than a little ridiculous.

Reading it now, I appreciated Waugh's work a lot more. Humorous and melancholy, his writing reminds me of both what it was like to be young, imagining a sort of everlasting omnipotence, and what it's like to be older, regretting not only that loss, but having been foolish enough to believe in it in the first place.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Brideshead Revisited.