AH's Reviews > Evolussion

Aug 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: first-reads, zzread-sept-2010, science-fiction
Read from September 18 to 28, 2010 , read count: 1

I won this ARC book on Goodreads’ First Reads Giveaway. I must confess that I did not read the first book in the series – Regression which provided a lot of background to this book. I do believe that if a book is well written, a person can jump into the series at any point and still understand the book.

With that thought in mind, I started reading this book. It has really interesting concepts. First of all, the earth will cease to exist on November 11, 2011. A corporation, the cleverly named Three Eleven Mega Corp is working to protect the earth from its demise.

Next, the book also speaks of the concept of regression where a person leaves the life they are in through an accident, usually a blow to the head, and wakes up to become another person. They do keep the memories of the previous person. This knowledge is necessary to keep the Mega Corp in business. Imagine finding yourself in the body of a twelve year old but still having your previous life’s memories. Then imagine yourself in that twelve year old body meeting your lover from your past life, only she’s a newborn.

The other interesting concept is that of the plasmid. The people who can regress into another life have a special mark on them from the plasmid. The plasmid makes them disease-free. It also allows them to have memcall and to remember their past lives. The plasmid is a little sinister in that mankind is really not certain as to its purpose.

So you have a society that is permeated with the Three Eleven Mega Corporation. It appears to control everything. There is also the opposition – the Anvolussion, a kind of terrorist group. However, the threat from Anvolussion is not really developed through the book.

I did enjoy reading this book. I did find that there were a lot of characters to keep track of and some characters changed names when they regressed. I found myself writing down a list just to keep the names straight. I found the changes in points of view a little abrupt and I had to re-read paragraphs to understand whose point of view it was. There was also a lot of change in setting as the characters travelled everywhere, including outer space. I really did enjoy the Stewlog, a kind of gossipy Entertainment Tonight reporting on the Three Eleven corporation.

This book would greatly benefit from a glossary, a time line, and a list of characters and their regresees. I noticed that the author had mentioned that these items will be available on line and I am looking forward to seeing them there.

Evolussion is a satisfying read and I hope to see more books by this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Evolussion.

09/18/2010 page 50
09/20/2010 page 69
20.0% "A lot of characters to keep track of."
09/24/2010 page 156
45.0% "Finally getting into this. Regression as a way to save the world."
09/27/2010 page 272
78.0% "This book would greatly benefit with some sort of glossary and perhaps a family tree to keep track of all the characters."
show 4 hidden updates…

Greta is Erikasbuddy I hate it when there are like a jillion characters to keep track of. I agree... Timelines and glossaries are the bestest!! i don't think I'd be able to get into this book but I sure would like to see the movie ;)

message 2: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH It would make a really good movie, come to think of it.

Greta is Erikasbuddy NICE! I have trouble READING tons and tons of names... but the plot sounds cool. Dear SyFy Channel - we found your next movie :)

message 4: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Actually Grimspace would make an awesome mini-series.

Greta is Erikasbuddy I just requested FOOL MOON!! WOW! I got the next to the last copy that our system has. I should have it sometime next week :)

message 6: by AH (new) - rated it 3 stars

AH Awesome! Can't wait.

Greta is Erikasbuddy sweetness!!!

message 8: by Kathy (new) - added it

Kathy Bell Hello AH,

Thanks for taking the time to read and review Evolussion. Based on early reader feedback, a prologue has been added to the final version to orient readers to the characters parading through the first few chapters, and to their backstory. Hopefully this helps those who have not read the first book!

The review page is now active on Amazon, if you don't mind leaving a review there as well, it would be wonderful!

Happy Reading,