Cynthia's Reviews > The Diary of Mattie Spenser

The Diary of Mattie Spenser by Sandra Dallas

Jan 02, 08

Read in January, 2005

I didn't want to put this book down or for it to end. Sandra Dallas combined both a wonderful plot in a fascinating time period with the unique character of Maggie Spenser. I usually do not like books in a diary or letter format b/c there is so much skipping around and it feels like the flow is interrupted. And I sometimes feel that I am missing out on some aspect of the novel, such as setting or other character's personalities. This book proved me wrong. The story flowed so well and through Mattie's insightful observations, we as readers, understood the landscape and the lives of these settlers.

This book made me laugh at loud during certain parts like Mattie's thoughts about the marriage bed. Mattie is a wonderful character. Even though she acted the part of a loyal, subserviate wife (as those times had dictated), she always had a spunky nature. Her individualism is apparent in her diary entries.

And this book made me feel sad during the hard times of sickness, death, and betrayal. Despite such hard times, this novel has a happy tone. It ends realistically which I am glad for. Instead of running off, she decides to stay and it seems that Luke and her turn out to have a wonderful life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Diary of Mattie Spenser.