Kathryn 's Reviews > Tyger Tyger

Sep 15, 11

bookshelves: first-in-a-serie, books-i-own, read-2011, young-adult-fiction
Read from September 06 to 13, 2011 — I own a copy

Rating Clarification 4.5

Aside from Knife which I have read about two months ago, this book had the most understandable and acceptable boy/girl relationship I've read this year. And it's half the reason why I gave this book .5 star in addition.

I've wanted to read this book ever since it came out last year and like it often happens, I have forgotten about it. Until I actually saw the 'paperback' version during my weekly visit to my favorite book store. I was so thrilled ! I had to buy the book then and there and within 24 hours, I was reading it.

It was all so very easy to love the book from the beginning.

The main character's name "Teagan", although a bit boyish, had me at first glance. (I loved it when her family and friends called her "Tea")
Her artistic yet care free mother, loving and supportive father, brilliant and a bit odd brother Aiden and her mother-like best friend Abby. I LOVED all these characters. They were so fitting as a family, and it was a testament to how Teagan was raised. And let's not forget her not-blood-related cousin Finn. (Teagan's mother was addopted)

(view spoiler)

The story itself is very imaginative and fascinating.
I've never read a story about goblins before.
And the fact that it's an Irish legend, just makes it that much more intriguing.

The author also has a keen sense of humor and ability to make the characters come to life. Because she actually made me want to read about all the other side characters as well. (which is not very often) Like Cindy the chimpanzee, Lennie; Aiden's "big" friend, and Mamieo; their grandmother.

Over all, it's a VERY promising first book in a series and I cannot wait to read to discover the secrets and the magical world that is Mag Mell with cunning and disgusting Goblin high lords and other awesome creatures. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Tyger Tyger.

09/08/2011 page 18
5.0% "these few pages are very, VERY promising !" 3 comments
09/11/2011 page 167
50.0% "love the setting, and monsters in this story ;-)"
09/12/2011 page 247
74.0% "I'm gonna miss Finn calling Aiden "BOYO"!! lol"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Ooh, I'm excited to see what you thought! I've been slacking from school and work but I want to finish it!!