Bianca van Willigenburg's Reviews > Relic

Relic by Douglas Preston

Aug 03, 10

bookshelves: 2010, fiction-thriller
Read from August 01 to 03, 2010

From the start I had the idea that I have read this novel before. I probably borrowed it years ago from the library when I first got interested in the horror genre.

I really like this novel. It's fast-paced yet it does a good job at expaining the technical stuff and even if you don't understand it (all) it doesn't make you understand the story less.

It is very clear which are the good, bad and ambiguous characters. I loved Agent Pendergast and I am certainly going to read more novels he is featured in.

Some people noted that it was gory, but I didn't think so. Sure there are horrible murders but when they are described in a way and in a setting (often in the morgue) where it doesn't feel as if those details are just added for the sensational factor. They are stated as something the beast is capable of.

My only complaint is that there are so many characters that they aren't worked out that well. Some are characatures of the job they have (Smithback as journalist). Hopefully in the next books of the Pendergast series the recurring characters are fleshed out more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Relic.

08/02/2010 page 127