stephanie's Reviews > Saving Zoë

Saving Zoë by Alyson Noel

Aug 01, 10

bookshelves: 2010, young-adult, would-rec, re-read
Read in July, 2010

how we see our siblings. how our siblings see us. how we don't see.

this book was kind of hard to read as an older sister. not because of anything in particular, but the things you take for granted - your friends knowing your siblings, the secrets you keep to protect the younger ones, to keep as your own, the way your relationship with your parents is different. the way idealization occurs, even when you aren't aware, and how such different personalities are still related, still sisters.

zoe kept a journal. zoe loved mark. zoe was murdered. mark was a suspect. mark gives echo zoe's journal. everyone misses zoe. no one really knew zoe. no one really knows echo. no one really knows mark.

is anyone ever really known?

this book predates Evermore, and i have to say, i love echo. i love her more than ever, a lot, and her story is so much more real - beyond the whole paranormal aspect of ever's story. echo is more simple, more honest.

i hope the immortals series causes more people to pick up Alyson Noel's other books, because they are totally worth it.

(secret: i kind of want her to stop writing the paranormal stuff, and go back to this type of book. because this book truly does echo after you read it. it's hard to shake. it's beautiful, aching, and real.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Saving Zoë.