Krystle's Reviews > Cinders; A Cinderella Sequel

Cinders; A Cinderella Sequel by Michelle D. Argyle

Feb 18, 11

Read from February 03 to 05, 2011

I love fairy tale retellings and once I saw the cover for this I had to read it. I didn’t know that this was a self-published book because it’s superbly crafted; beautiful cover, tight editing, and a strong cohesive plot. I’ve read my fair share of poorly created self-published books but this one is probably one of the few that belong in with the cream of the crop.

Michelle David Argyle’s writing is very strong and she has a quite a thorough grasp of what she’s doing. There are no frilly passages in here, everything is straightforward and direct. I love the concept of the plot. What happens to Cinderella after she gets her ever after? It’s one of the ideas that were discussed in my Fairy Tale course, and the whole realistic and gritty mood of the piece reminds me a lot of this picture I saw from an artist that drew an unhappy Cinderella in her married life.

The plot moves quickly, although it takes a while to build in the first half, until it moves into the real magical/fairy tale element of the story. There are a lot of darker elements that I didn’t expect. But if everything about this book was so great, why didn’t I like it more?

Well, my problem was that I was unable to fully connect with the characters; their voices fell sort of flat for me. And the ending left me unsatisfied. Don’t get me wrong, I like books that have unexpected endings but this one never clicked with me, nor did it leave any lasting impressions.

If you like your fairy tale retellings of a more mature nature than this is one you should pick up.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinders; A Cinderella Sequel.

02/03/2011