Megan Marie's Reviews > When Will This Cruel War Be Over?: The Civil War Diary of Emma Simpson, Gordonsville, Virginia, 1864

When Will This Cruel War Be Over? by Barry Denenberg

Jul 31, 10

Read in July, 2010

** spoiler alert ** This books made me so sad. I know both sides of the war had so much tragedy but I always feel the worst for the South. Their part of the country was simply torn to pieces. I also cannot figure out why the Yankee soldiers were so terrible and not just to southern soldiers but to Southern families in general. The women who couldn't defend themselves and spent a good portion of the war scared to death everyday that the Yankees would come through and do something awful. The North destroyed their entire way of life and for what? So Lincoln could do what he wanted when and where he wanted to? That man was a dirty rotten scoundrel and I hope he burns for what he did to all those people. I felt so bad for Emma because just about everyone in her life died. I was glad to read in the epilogue however that Tally came back and they ended up together. The war was amazingly terrible and even reading about it doesn't do it near enough justice.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When Will This Cruel War Be Over?.