Susan's Reviews > The 19th Wife

The 19th Wife by David Ebershoff

Aug 18, 10

Read from August 04 to 18, 2010

Just finished this one. I had this on my shelf for quite awhile. Could have been that the book was a bit dawnting with over 500 pages to read.
Historical fiction usually is not very literary and is one dimensional characters. I have to say I was totally wrong about this one. This was a page turner. I could not stop reading. Even when I was cooking I had the book in my hand. It was part historical, part mystery, suspense. The novel was not very literary it was a quick and easy read. The novel flipped back and forth to the present 19th wife and the historical 19th wife of Brigham Young. He was the leader of the Mormon church. The book was the effect of living in a polygamous marriage. What it was like from the wife and the children's perspective. Also the life and times of Eliza Young. Then in the present time the 19th wife is accused of murdering her husband. I loved the ending how the murder was solved and wrapped up in the novel. If you are looking for a page turner I recommend reading this one. I will write my review on my blog soon. If you are interested visit at http://susansliterarycafe.blogspot.com.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The 19th Wife.