Arlene Allen's Reviews > The Devil's Novice

The Devil's Novice by Ellis Peters

Jul 31, 10

bookshelves: historical-mystery
Read in January, 1986

Ah, my first Brother Cadfael. To him and Ellis Peters I owe my lifelong love of historical mysteries. A lot of authors have "If you like Brother Cadfael you'll like...." on their covers but very few have ever come close to Ellis' hero and his stories. Both he and his creator are missed.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil's Novice.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski Very true! There are some very good historical mysteries, but nothing like these. They were gentle and they brought mediaeval Britain to life, with the lives of ordinary people. It was also, in its way, the classic series about an amateur sleuth and his buddy the cop. The TV series was great too, pity they never got all twenty filmed.

Arlene Allen It was funny - before the movie version of "Name of the Rose" came out, I always pictured Sean Connery as Cadfael. Derek Jacobi did a wonderful job, though. I bought the series on video - who knew about DVDs! I hope they get released on BluRay someday.

message 3: by Sue (new)

Sue Bursztynski The series really brought the books to life. And for the record, Edith Pargeter aka Ellis Peters said she would always, after that, see Derek Jacobi in the role of her monk. :-)