Caitlings's Reviews > Paranormalcy

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: ya, 2010-debut-ya-author-challenge, paranormal
Read from August 28 to 30, 2010

So, this book was just fantastic.

It was the perfect counter balance to all the paranormal romance stories out there right now. Not that there wasn't some romance involving paranormals. But all the romance felt like normal teen romance. No, "I can't live without you." Just fun, playful first kisses and hand holding and how that could mean the world to the people involved.

Evie is the best lead I've read in a debut novel this year. She is so well imagined and written. She's grown up in this bleak, cold world where she's been forced to work on dangerous jobs since she was a child, but has never lost her enthusiasm for life or for all things normal, or for her favourite colour, pink.

Also, she has a taser. And she named it Tasey. This makes her even more awesome.

I loved her slow discovery of all the things that are wrong in her world.The supporting cast was fantastic. The mystery was just perfect. A fantastic balance of outside elements and of Evie having to discover more about herself and her past.

And the pacing! It was so spot on. I was not bored for a single second.

My one critique is that the ending felt a little abrupt. I seriously turned the last page expecting another chapter or an epilogue and was very confused upon being faced with the acknowledgments.

I am so excited for the second one, it is physically painful that I have to wait a year, or however long its going to be.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paranormalcy.

08/28/2010 page 107