Grace's Reviews > City of Bones

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: for-teacher-review
Read from July 31 to August 02, 2010

I should warn you that this review is going to be a bit biased. I am not a fan of vampires, demons, angels, or really anything of the supernatural variety. I'm just burnt out on them, really. And with that warning, read on for my thoughts.

Being the first book in the trilogy, this isn't bad. It isn't good either. It is very cliché, not very original in my mind, and the characters struck me as somewhat flat.

First, a bit about the story. It reads like a TV sitcom. Every chapter has action, tension, and furthers the story. This was very good as it kept me from leaving the book lay for days at a time. However, not a single thing in the story that would have been seen as twists surprised me. The author did a fabulous job of laying out descriptions of places and the way things looked. The action scenes themselves gave me the idea that I was watching it from a slightly detached third view. I could totally imagine this with sweeping camera affects and terrible acting.

The characters were not totally flat. They had motivation of their own. They had different personalities. However, they were very stereotypical teens. The author got angst and anger down very well. And in the parts where she was trying to develop a love triangle, well you know what she means, but you just don't feel it. It is like that for most of the book -- you know what she means, but you just don't feel it. This is why I said in the story section that I could imagine this with terrible acting.

I imagine anyone that isn't as burnt out by the same old same old as I am would really love this book. It really shouldn't be that bad, but I've read so many that are similar that I could predict everything, which is probably what ruined it for me.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read City of Bones.