Rollo's Reviews > The Name of the Wind

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss

Aug 02, 10

bookshelves: 2010, borrowed, fantasy

The first 2/3 of this book was very good, among the best fantasy written in years. The story and central character seized my attention and would not let it go.

I had been reluctant to read this book because its official description "... I danced in a tiara and slew a dragon, you may have heard of me," or words to that effect, seemed sophomoric. Hopefully, this is the fault of the publisher, not the author. In spite of the description at Goodreads, I drawn by the reviews and how the readers described the story.

As soon as I started reading, I was hooked and forgot my earlier misgivings. The story included several novel techniques to introduce traditional parts of the fantasy formula. This was refreshing and the pace made it hard to stop. It kept me perpetually wanting to read just one more chapter. In hindsight, this was not so much driven by action, as by the precarious situation of the protagonist and my built up investment in him.

Unfortunately, the final 1/3 of this book almost seems like it was written by someone else. It became boring for me, eventhough you could say it contained more action. I am vague because I do not like spoilers. But the last section of the book was a disappointment, as was the hurried and seemingly incomplete conclusion.

In sum, 4 stars for the first 2/3, and a warnig for the final 1/3. caveat emptor

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Name of the Wind.

Quotes Rollo Liked

Patrick Rothfuss
“Words are pale shadows of forgotten names. As names have power, words have power. Words can light fires in the minds of men. Words can wring tears from the hardest hearts.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind

Patrick Rothfuss
“Bones mend. Regret stays with you forever.”
Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind