Braden Bell's Reviews > The Sorcerer in the North

The Sorcerer in the North by John Flanagan

Jul 31, 10

I'm a fan of this series, but I felt that Flanagan started doing some great things in this book. It's Will's first adventure alone, and I was happy to see an increased role for Alyss. Flanagan has found a way, in my opinion, to credibly give his female characters important things to do in the context of a medieval world.

This book had some themes I think are especially important for adolescents to read--being popular vs. being good, the idea of appearances and making judgments on those appearances, and the throes and challenges of young love.

I really think these books are great for young men especially. They are heroic and action packed. They demonstrate concepts of traditional masculinity that are disappearing: strength, honor, bravery. But the heroes are as likely to carry the day through their wits and intelligence as brawn and skill. They are also respectful of women, and there are good female characters as well (although the books tend a little more towards the male point of view)
5 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sorcerer in the North.