Michelle's Reviews > A Hope Undaunted

A Hope Undaunted by Julie Lessman

Sep 30, 10

bookshelves: favorites
Read from September 10 to 29, 2010

Where does one begin to describe the amazing talent of Julie Lessman? Whether you're looking at the character development, or the intricate details of setting, you can be sure that Julie Lessman never fails to impress!

I've never been to Boston, or lived in the 1920's, but Julie makes me feel like I've been transported back in time; like I've walked right into the pages of the book. I can see the family gathered around the table, I can hear the crackle of the fire, I can feel the pain of a dear friend who has suffered a terrible loss, I can smell the sweetness of a beloved father's pipe, and I can almost taste the sweet tartness of a tall glass of lemonade. Julie's writing skills are spot on, and always leave me wanting to read more and more!

Even though the story takes place in the late 1920's, you can see how this story could take place now, in present-day America. The trials that people faced then are very similar to those that many of us face now. And even though the O'Connor family is fictitious, we can come away from the story knowing that we've been shown an example of how we're to follow God's precepts in all of our circumstances. Through the lives of the characters, we can be entertained, while at the same time nurture our soul with reminders of God's love and the undaunted hope that we can only find in a relationship with Him.

If you love a satisfying, well written story, filled with love, passion, excitement, twists, turns, and surprises . . . look no further! A Hope Undaunted is just what you're looking for. I highly recommend this book without any reservations! Just be sure to read Julie's Daughters of Boston series first before you dive into the Winds of Change series. You'll be so glad that you did!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Hope Undaunted.

09/19/2010 page 115