Claire's Reviews > The Ragamuffin Gospel: Good News for the Bedraggled, Beat-Up, and Burnt Out

The Ragamuffin Gospel by Brennan Manning

Jun 16, 08

bookshelves: my-happy-books, poetry-essays-nonfiction, this-is-my-catholicism, favorite-books-ever, five-stars
Recommended to Claire by: Rich Mullins
Recommended for: Anyone who isn't sure Christianity has a place for them because they aren't perfect
Read in March, 2008

The best way I can describe this book is to quote from it:

"When I get honest, I admit I am a bundle of paradoxes. I believe and I doubt, I hope and get discouraged, I love and I hate, I feel bad about feeling good, I feel guilty about not feeling guilty. I am trusting and suspicious. I am honest and I still play games. Aristotle said I am a rational animal; I say I am an angel with an incredible capacity for beer. To live by grace means to acknowledge my whole life story, the light side and the dark. In admitting my shadow side, I learn who I am and what God's grace means."

"The gentleness of Jesus with sinners flowed from his ability to read their hearts. Behind people's grumpiest poses and most puzzling defense mechanisms, behind their arrogance and airs, behind their silence, sneers and causes, Jesus saw little children who hadn't been loved enough and who had ceased growing because someone had ceased believing in them. His extraordinary sensitivity caused Jesus to speak of the faithful as children, no matter how tall, rich, clever and successful they might be."

"Whatever our failings may be, we need not lower our eyes in the presence of Jesus . . . we need not hide all that is ugly and repulsive in us. Jesus comes not for the super-spiritual but for the wobbly and weak-kneed who know they don't have it all together, and who are not too proud to accept the handout of amazing grace . . . There they are. There we are – the multitude who so wanted to be faithful, who at times got defeated, soiled by life, and bested by trials, wearing the bloodied garments of life's tribulations, but through it all clung to the faith.

My friends, if this is not good news to you, you have never understood the gospel of grace."
32 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ragamuffin Gospel.

message 1: by Donna (new)

Donna Want to read this for sure !

Allison Schnobrich Totally loved that quote too!

message 3: by James (new)