Alice's Reviews > The Great Divorce

The Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis

Jan 02, 08

Read in January, 2008

"The last thing I wish is to arouse factual curiousity about the details of the after-world," says C.S. Lewis in the preface to this book. So I will skip over the plotline of the bus trip taken by departed spirits to Heaven. This is not science fiction. It is rather a parable.

The heavenly country itself, in its beautiful weighty brilliance, reveals that the spiritual world is actually more real than the temporal world.

And the choices made by the different ghosts are designed to throw light on the eternal consequences of our own choices. With which ghost do you identify most closely? I feel for the man with the sinister lizard wrapped around his neck, whispering in his ear. When he consented at last to have the lizard destroyed, it was transformed and carried him straight to the high country. May I be willing to "put to death" whatever is holding me back from the heavenly country!

1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Great Divorce.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tamara (new) - added it

Tamara Whoa, what a weighty subject. Your review made me quite curious. I may just have to pick this one up.