Abeer Hoque's Reviews > The History of Love

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss

Aug 07, 10

Read from July 31 to August 03, 2010

I didn't like Ms. Krauss's other book that much (Man Walks Into The Room), and I found myself half not enjoying History of Love either - despite its readability, nice writing, intricate plot, and deeply thought through characters.

Part of it was a trivial hatred for a phrase the main character keeps using ("And yet.") which seemed to mean, "Hey look, I just said/thought something meaningful and deep and beautiful." Part of it was the overly precocious children characters who were mostly children, but sometimes unbelievably overly adult. Part of it was the book within a book conceit, which seemed just to say pretty things in pretty ways.

But in the end, I was tremendously moved (I cried through the end and for ten minutes afterwards), and am still thinking about how it all came together, in that way life often does - unhappily, unresolved, and with just enough of that human essential: acknowledgement. Thank you, Ms. Krauss. I'll look forward to more.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The History of Love.