Kristine's Reviews > The Counterfeit Convert

The Counterfeit Convert by Linda Chadwick

Aug 20, 10

bookshelves: firstreads-netgalley, chick-lit, religion-and-or-lds
Read in August, 2010

OK, so this was cheesy and predictable, but on a certain level what chick lit/chick flick isn't? I still watch chick flicks right?

This is from a first-time author out of Utah ... and I decided instead of just saying it didn't work for me I'd give one or two constructive criticisms. I mean I haven't been able to crank out a novel so she probably did better than I could, but as a critical reader, this is my feedback:

1) Show, don't tell. There were multiple parts of the book (unfortunately I didn't mark them, sorry!, but I remember thinking this often) where based on the scene, we could pick up on the situation or the feelings of those involved. Unfortunately the author then goes on to explain the whole situation and feelings of those involved in the previous scene. Before starting narrative explanation, pause and ask yourself, "does the reader already know this from what I've written?"

2) The voice was interesting and expressive, although it sounded like it came from the mind of a girl. Maybe stick to narrators who are female. It's very hard to jump the gender-narrator gap and not be cheesy or offend anyone.

3) The three best friends and roomies - they truly sounded like BFFs and roomies, if they were girls. Sounded like college female roommates . . . Has the author been around very many college age single LDS bachelors? I have two older and two younger bros (and was also managers of a male housing complex of male students at BYUI) and I think all of them would have rather been caught dead than act like these three. I guess it's just like how you can tell an author/screenwriter is female (my brothers laugh hysterically on High School Musical that Zack and his BFF fight like girls, like they say, NEVER would real teenage-bachelor age boys fight like chicks or express so much emotions).
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Counterfeit Convert.

message 1: by Brandy (new) - added it

Brandy Did you win this book?

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Sep 09, 2010 02:28AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sarah this is for kristines review. this book may have been cheesy and predictable but i would have been vary upset if it ended in any other way. about the boys accting like college girls you need to remember that this is a fiction book you need to come up with an imagination. or at least have a little fun in thinking life could really be this way, but i guess you just want life to be all about boys beating boys up did you ever think that boys could have feels at all if they didnt then women would never ever get mirred duh. oh and about her re explaining how they feel and what happen in the last scene did you ever think that she was trying to remind you a little of what happen not everyone reads a book in a day. i give it four stars. i hope she wrights more books i cant wait to see what else she can come up with. and she is a first time author cut her a break. i bet if you wrote a book alot of people would say the same things about your book it a learning thing keep reading her books she will improve no one can be perfect there first time wrighting a book. you should not be so mean just tell her some ideas you have to help get her better at wrighting and make it sound like your not trying to completly destroy her dream of wright this book. well i hope you read more of her books when she wrights more to see the improvement even tho she dont need any. you wright a book and then lets see how esay you think it is i bet it is not so dont crush someones dreams intell you do the same thing. not trying to be mean or anything but you can really crush someone from ever wright or doing any thing they love again i now you would never crush your familys or friends dreams just cuz you didnt like. or at least say some nice things about the book to