The Fza's Reviews > Have Space Suit - Will Travel

Have Space Suit - Will Travel by Robert A. Heinlein

Apr 27, 14

bookshelves: fiction, favorites, ya-fiction, speculative-fiction
Read in August, 1995

The title of this book, to this day, always makes me smile. Only Heinlein could name a book that and have it still in publication =]

The Dean the SF, Robert A. Heinlein, wrote this book as part of what are collectively known as The Heinlein Juveniles. About a dozen SF adventure books written for the Young Adult audience.

Heinlein is well known for his award winning, philosophical and satirical science fiction/fantasy works as well as scientific essays. But, in his early writing career Heinlein wrote these challenging and exciting stories, mostly for boys.

In this (one of my favorites since I was a kid) 'Kip' Russell, a bright high school senior with eccentric parents, enters a jingle writing contest for "Skyway Soap" hoping to win an all-expenses-paid trip to the Moon... After all that's where everyone in the future vacations, or so I'm told.

But young Kip instead get a lesser prize, an obsolete, but genuine, used space suit. And with the help of the small town's populace, and using his own ingenuity, Kip is able to restore the suit to full working condition.

As you would imagine Kip longs to go to space but realizes that he could use the money more. So before he tries to trade in his space suit he decides to take it for a spin.

While idly broadcasts on the suits radio, some identified girl, calling herself 'Peewee', answers with a Mayday signal and before Kip knows what's happening a flying saucer practically lands on top of him.

With the young girl, and an alien being, which Kip and Peewee call "Mother Thing", we are embroiled in an intergalactic cold war that just started to simmer.

Kip finally gets to the Moon, but as a prisoner of what he call the "Wormfaces". A vaguely anthropomorphic race who contemptuously refer to all others as animals, and their two flunky humans.

In fine YA style young Kip and Peewee, a long with a wounded Mother Thing will have to use their intellect, and even more ingenuity than it took to restore a space suite, to escape and save all of mankind as we jet from the Moon to Pluto to parts unknown.

Heinlein makes use of his engineering expertise to bring a sense of realism to the story, as he was a civilian aeronautics engineer working at a laboratory where pressure suits were developed for use at high altitudes.

RECOMMENDED for anyone who loves a good adventure story, doesn't mind a little cheese and also has that longing to reach for the stars... doubly recommended if you're between the ages of 13 - 21.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Have Space Suit - Will Travel.