Mary (BookHounds)'s Reviews > Zombies Vs. Unicorns

Zombies Vs. Unicorns by Holly Black

Aug 31, 10

bookshelves: 2010-book-challenge, 2010-young-adult-challenge, arc, around-the-world-arc-tours
Read from July 30 to August 31, 2010

ABSOLUTELY LOVED IT

I dreamed about this book. Seriously, I imagined these stories told by these authors since a rainbow bright unicorn landed on my desk in the third grade. So, I have tipped my hat and you now know which side of the fight I live for. But wait! The zombie people made really great arguments for the zombies. What this book really comes down to is: Holly versus Justine. I love them both separately but equally and for different reasons. There are great back and forths between each story where Holly is pro Unicorn and Justine is pro Zombie. I laughed until I almost choked, but then the zombies would win.

This is also the first anthology where I read each and every story. In most books like this there are always a few that I just don't like, but these are all spectacular. They are also stories you could read over and over again. My favorite has to be Meg Cabot's story about a killer unicorn (literally can kill) that farts rainbows and jasmine. Now who wouldn't want one of those around? I also enjoyed Scott Westerfield's Zombie story for some weird reason, it just struck a chord with me in a post apocalyptic way. (Trust me, I am NOT sucking up to Scott since his wife his co editor--the story still has me thinking about it.)

These are some pretty spooky stories that would be great around a campfire or under the covers with a flashlight. They are all pretty safe for kids over 11 or so. Although I think the kids will have a hard time prying it away from their parents.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Zombies Vs. Unicorns.