Ashley's Reviews > Adventures in Missing the Point: How the Culture-Controlled Church Neutered the Gospel

Adventures in Missing the Point by Brian D. McLaren

Nov 01, 13

bookshelves: christian-spirituality, read-in-2010, social-issues, non-fiction
Recommended to Ashley by: Caitlin
Read from July 30 to August 01, 2010

(forgive the stupid review...it's 6am, and I've been up all night)

This book didn't really give out any answers.

...and for once, I dont think that was the point of the book! (how refreshing!)

Rather, it broached on numerous topics Christians (and society at large) are facing, and offered up some new ways to view them, some questions to ask yourself, and a few tidbits to toss around in your mind.

Particularly interesting were the chapters on:

Salvation
Kingdom of God
The Bible
Evangelism
Homosexuality
& Doubt

I read a few comments from people saying that they thought the chapters were too short, or that they didn't really go in depth about the topics at hand. Personally, I think that's what made this book for me. They merely brought up a few topics, put out a few ideas on the topic, but then left you with those ideas to mull around and figure out what you believe for yourself. They provided a few different perspectives, but very few (if any) "absolutes", which I really appreciated.

As for the format...honestly, I thought it was a little goofy. At times, the other author would respond for, what felt like, merely the sake of responding, even when nothing much was added to the conversation. At other times, they would bring up the most obvious counter-points, to where it felt like they were missing the point of their own book- they weren't going in-depth about these topics, so it kind of amused me when one perspective wasn't really examined, and then during the response the other author would feel the need to come and point that out, and talk about how incredibly different it makes the entire argument.

Again- I think everyone reading this book is mostly aware that it seems to be more about starting a conversation with those around you, or even just your own self, rather than TEACHING, so it seemed a little silly to bring that up, imo.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adventures in Missing the Point.

07/30/2010 page 68
07/30/2010 page 87
32.0% "absolutely loving this so far! Favorite sections have been on theology & reading the Bible...fascinating."
show 1 hidden update…