Kelsey's Reviews > The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Jan 31, 12

bookshelves: dystopian
Read on January 10, 2012

Well what can I say about The Hunger Games that hasn't been said already. This book has been on my TBR pile for awhile now and thanks to Adam @ Roof Beam Reader I finally put it on my list to get read this year (plus the movie is coming out and I didn't want to see that before I read the book).

Almost everyone knows what the plot is to The Hunger Games. It is set in a dystopian world that for fun (like the Romans and the Collosseum) like to pit children from different Districts against each other in a battle to the death. Now each District has certain advantages depending on what their District is noted for. Katniss and Peeta are from District 12, one of the poorest of the Districts. Katniss orignally is not drawn but instead her sister, Prim, is. Katniss knows that Prim would not stand a chance if she goes, so Katniss volunteers to go.

Right away, Katniss and Peeta's sponsors know that they have to be very creative so they play the forlorn lovers angle. Katniss, whose best friend Gale (love triangle alert) is watching back home is forced to go along (or is she?). Katniss and Peeta really compliment each other. Peeta has the strength and Katniss has the brains.

I did enjoy Collin's dystopian world. There is a lot that I know is going to happen in the next two books that I look forward to reading. A caution to all YA readers is that some parts are quite violent but what would you expect when you are fighting to the death. Great read and I think it will be a hit when the movie comes out. Collin's writing is quite visual and I could see some of these scenes play out on the big screen.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hunger Games.