Dina's Reviews > Beauty's Punishment

Beauty's Punishment by A.N. Roquelaure

1918270
Sep 10, 10

bookshelves: erotica-romantica, fiction, f-f, m-m, ménage, bdsm
Recommended to Dina by: My naughty curiosity, LOL.
Read from August 21 to September 08, 2010

** spoiler alert ** Disclaimer: I read the 1st book on a dare and even though I didn't particularly enjoy the experience - you can read my status updates and my review here, if you're curious - I got sucked into reading the next book. Once again, I'm not rating this read because I don't think it would be fair to "hurt" this book's average rating considering I knew I wasn't going to like it (I'm not a fan of pure erotica and I'm no expert in BDSM).

Just to get started, here's the plot summary given at the beginning of the 3rd book, Beauty's Release:

Sold on the village auction block at dawn, Tristan soon found himself tethered and harnessed to the carriage of a handsome young Master, Nicolas, the Queen's Chronicler. And Beauty, put to work in Mistress Lockley's Inn, became the plaything of the Captain of the Guard, the Inn's chief lodger.
But within days of their separation and sale, Beauty and Tristan were both seduced by the iron discipline of the village. The sweet terrors of the Place of Public Punishment, the Punishment Shop, the Farm and the Stable, the Soldiers' Night at the inn enflamed them as well as frightening them, causing them to forget their former selves utterly.
Even the harsh judgment of the runaway slave, Prince Laurent, his body bound to a Punishment Cross for exhibit, only served to tantalize them.
And, as Beauty gloried in chastisements at last equal to her spirit, Tristan became hopelessly enamored of his new Master.
Yet no sooner had the pair met and confided their shameless happiness to each other than a band of powerful enemy soldiers attacked the village, kidnapping Beauty and Tristan along with other choice slaves, including Prince Laurent, to be taken by sea to the land of a new Master, the Sultan.
Within hours of the attack, the stolen Princes and Princesses learned that they would not be ransomed. By agreement between their sovereigns, they had been condemned to serve in the Sultan's palace until such time as they would be safely returned to their Queen for further judgment.
Kept in long, rectangular golden cages in the hold of the Sultan's ship, the slaves accepted their new destiny.

As I started to read this book, I braced myself to be utterly shocked because I'd been told that the sexual shenanigans in this book were "worse" than the ones featured in the 1st book. Well, forewarned is forearmed. I have to say that the 1st 1/3 of the story was quite "easy" to read... I mean, Beauty and Tristan were subjected to all kinds of kinky, painful and humitliating sex antics, but there was nothing new there as I'd seen it all before in the 1st book - in one word, it was "only" spanking, with a few variations to make things "interesting". *rolls eyeballs* But then, ohmygod ohmygod ohmygod, Tristan and I were introduced to those unbelievably thick leather phalluses with horsetails and it was the end of the world as we knew it! I almost died on the spot, but Tristan endured it with strength and stoicism, becoming a better man pony in the end. *shudders*

Strangely enough, that was the point where my feelings about this book changed - for better or worse, that's yet to be determined. I started to care for Tristan and I couldn't keep reading his scenes with the same sense of aloofness I still dedicated to Beauty's scenes. No, that didn't happen because I like ponies - I actually think those genetically engineered creatures are freak shows. It was Ms. Rice's writing: she chose to write Tristan's scenes in 1st person POV, and that made me connect with him in a way that I never did with Beauty. When it came to Beauty's scenes, I still thought that Ms. Rice's writing was kind of juvenile, wordy and redundant; on the other hand, Tristan's scenes were more interesting and engaging.

Based on what I said so far, you may have guessed that Beauty wasn't exactly the main character in the book. Sure, she was most likely featured in the same number of pages as Tristan, but she was still the same airheaded sub in search of her Dom introduced in the 1st book and I was bored to tears by her scenes. She was spanked by the auctioner, her new Mistress Mrs. Lockley, her Mistress' other slaves, the Captain of the Guard, his soldiers, the Master at the Place of Public Punishment, the commoners... I must be forgetting someone, but does it matter? Gaaah! Not even her 1st gang bang got a rise out of me. I believe I yawned through the whole "ordeal". (Before you start throwing rotten tomatoes at me, let me tell you that she enjoyed the whole thing, so I'm not making fun of gang rape.) Now, what did get a rise out of me was Beauty's scene with her Mistress' cat... That was gross!!! I cringed, I gagged, I puked - and I had to take a nice, cleansing shower afterwards. *shudders*

As a whole, this read was uneven to me. The 1st half was quite boring, with one or two shocking scenes to jolt me awake, but the 2nd half was more engaging - and difficult to read - due to my "attachment" to Tristan. I didn't enjoy this read, but it was interesting on a psychological level as it gave me a small insight into what the BDSM lifestyle is about.

Am I going to read the 3rd and final book? Absolutely! In for a penny, in for a pound. Plus, I want to know who Beauty's Prince Charming Dom will be. While I was reading the 1st book, I thought it would be Prince Alexi; when I finished it, I was sure it was Prince Tristan; while I was reading the 2nd book, I fancied Prince Richard; but now that I finished it, I have no clue and I need to meet the Prince who will give Beauty the ultimate spanking. He must be there in the 3rd book, waiting for her - and me, LOL.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty's Punishment.

08/31/2010
0.0% "Personal challenge: See how far I can stretch my comfort zone. That's all. Not time limit, no rules and no stress relief "exercises" this time. :)" 4 comments
08/31/2010
7.0% "Beauty, you slut! How could you have forgotten all about Prince Alexi so soon? Granted, Prince Tristan's organ can do wonders even when you're both gagged and tied, but still..." 4 comments
08/31/2010
14.0% "Oh, the pain and the humiliation! Now I know how cattle feel at auctions. :(" 6 comments
09/04/2010
18.0% ""I'm going to spank you till you're raw. And I'm doing it for one reason only and that is so you'll be so sore that the touch of my fingernail will make you squeal and scurry to obey my commands. You'll stay raw like that every day this summer that you're my slave, and you'll scamper to kiss my slippers after I spank you." Ah, what a lovely summer "vacation" awaits Beauty! I bet she's excited." 7 comments
20.0% "Gasp! Lady Juliana, how could you?!?" 3 comments
09/04/2010
23.0% "Hmmm, this Captain isn't so bad... :)"
09/05/2010
26.0% ""Public Punishment." Beauty remembered the words of the auctioneer telling all Masters and Mistresses to prescribe it whenever they felt it necessary. And she knew that the Captain would never think to give her a reason for it. But what did it matter? That he wanted her punished because he was bored or curious, that was reason enough. Sadly, I was wrong about the Captain. But he does give Beauty some Big-O's." 2 comments
09/05/2010
32.0% "We have Prince Tristan's POV now... "And why all those lovely tears?" The Mistress drew near to my face. "Haven't you ever been fitted before? You're going to have a great many of them ordered for you now with a great many different decorations and harnesses." Do you think he's being fitted for clothes? Silly you! His Mistress is measuring his "backdoor" so she can order new leather phalluses for him. :-/" 8 comments
09/05/2010
35.0% "Prince Tristan, aka the human pony, is put to work... I'm speechless." 5 comments
09/05/2010
39.0% "Come on, Tristan, make up your mind! Are you going to rebel or not? Wimp!" 2 comments
09/06/2010
43.0% "Beauty has experienced her 1st gang bang. She liked it, of course." 1 comment
09/06/2010
47.0% "Tristan's public punishment was hard to take. His spanking - what else? - wasn't anything different from all I've seen so far, but it affected me somehow. Am I starting to care for him? That can't happen! It would make reading this book very difficult. :(" 2 comments
09/06/2010
50.0% "OMG, what's happening here? Tristan and Nicolas' sex scene was quite sweet and lovely. They're even cuddling afterwards! *sighs* I'm going to take a break now, because I'm afraid Nicolas will go back to torturing and punishing Tristan again when they wake up."
09/07/2010
58.0% ""She had several small black leather weights with clamps and she applied them to the loose skin of my scrotum. I winced. I couldn't keep still. Then she manacled my penis at the base with a heavy weight dangling beneath it, and as my organ bobbed I felt the coldness of the iron weight against my testicles." Well, I don't have a penis so I don't know how hurtful that is. But I can say this: ouch, ouch, ouch!!!" 15 comments
62.0% "Bestiality!!! *shudders, gags & pukes*" 6 comments
09/07/2010
65.0% ""And the sack of money isn't put into your mouth to bring home. It's shoved good and proper in your anus with the little drawstrings hanging out. And that night I was forced through the whole tavern afterwards, to every table for extra copper coins, and they pushed those into me until I was stuffed as well as a fowl for roasting." Thanks, Ms. Rice! I'll never eat a stuffed turkey (or any other bird) again. :(" 5 comments
09/07/2010
72.0% "Tristan's Master and Beauty's Mistress are eeevil sadists. These small reprieves they give now and then only makes me hate them more, because I know what they're going to do next. It's the good cop/bad cop routine, with the same person playing both parts. I'm on to you, you creepy douchebags!" 2 comments
09/08/2010
78.0% "Oh my, it looks like Tristan has found true love. Is there a HEA in sight for him? (I can't believe Ms. Rice has sucked me into caring for him. This will only lead to heartbreak.)" 3 comments
09/08/2010
88.0% "Yay, Beauty and Tristan are about to meet again! I'm so excited - but mind you, not in a sexual way, LOL." 4 comments
09/08/2010
93.0% "Slave raid! Oh no, what's going to happen now? *bites fingernails*" 5 comments
09/08/2010
100.0% "What?!? This can't be over! You don't end a book in the middle of a spanking. The nerve!" 3 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rane (new)

Rane You poor soul...this was even worse then the 1st one! *hugs* Good Luck!

message 2: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks, Rane. We shall see how it goes...

message 3: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher you are sooooo mean! hahahahahaha... but I love your review! You go girl! Congrats and it's the right thing... you said what you fell reading it!
I hope you like it... It's my favorite from this trilogy just because was the first M/M scenes to me... before this book I didn't know that kind of stories... and today (after a lot of GREAT M/M) I can say it's not a great M/M erotic book, but just because it was my first I still like this book.
(but don't think reading this you will not see the spanking that annoyed you so much! Will be more... a lot more!)

message 4: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Ack, more spanking?! I thought that was over and new stuff would be introduced in the Village - after all, that's the place everyone fears and spanking is so old news... ;)

message 5: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin omg Dina, you survived another of these! haha! You do have a knack for punishment LOL

message 6: by Bookwatcher (new)

Bookwatcher I guess you hate it, hahahahahaha (certainly I'll read your review!)

message 7: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin I liked it already despite the lack of "real" review.

Status Updates are way enough! LOL! ^^

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Oh, I can't wait for this review!!!

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I'm reading all of the status update comments! Dina, how did I miss this???

When/if you start the next book, please PM me the link so I can follow along!

message 10: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Bookwatcher wrote: "I guess you hate it, hahahahahaha (certainly I'll read your review!)"

I didn't hate it, Camila. I wouldn't go as far as to say I liked it, but it was more interesting than the 1st book. That's all I'm going to say for now, LOL.

message 11: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Jasmin wrote: "I liked it already despite the lack of "real" review.

Status Updates are way enough! LOL! ^^"

LOL! I had so much fun with my Status Updates, that's why I decided to take a break before writing my review. What else is there to say? I'm sure something new will come to my mind soon enough. ;)

message 12: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "I'm reading all of the status update comments! Dina, how did I miss this???

When/if you start the next book, please PM me the link so I can follow along!"

Will do, UM. I thought you were strangely quiet while I was reading this book - now I know why, LOL.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... LOL Strangely quiet indeed. You know me, I seldom shut up! LOL

message 14: by Jasmin (new)

Jasmin Dina its an agonizing a lot to wait for ur review.

I didn't see ur status updates either.

LOL Dhes. :D

message 15: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina I'll try to write it tomorrow. :)

message 16: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Review Rant is up. Read it at your own risk, LOL.

message 17: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Nicely ranted, Dina. :D

ITA about how Rice writes Beauty. I have a suspicion she doesn't like females all that much. Her vampire books are all male-centric as well.

message 18: by MelissaB (new)

MelissaB Holy crap hilarious review Dina! Nothing will phase you after this stuff.

message 19: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks, Beanbag. :)

Interesting comment there. I've never read anything else by her, but her writing in this series isn't conducive to making me like Beauty at all. I was surprised when I found myself connecting with Tristan, because I didn't think she was able to make me care for any character - not in this series, anyway.

message 20: by Dina (last edited Sep 10, 2010 11:27AM) (new) - added it

Dina Melissa, I'm not sure about that. I could stand a lot in this book because I didn't care for Beauty. Tristan's scenes were hard to read.

message 21: by Beanbag (new)

Beanbag Love Dina wrote: "Thanks, Beanbag. :)

Her vampire books are much better written but they're almost completely populated with males. The females tend to be a bit negatively and two dimensionally portrayed and the males have much more depth. I think you should read "Interview with a Vampire", if for no other reason than to see what all the fuss was about. People really used to bond with that book.

message 22: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Beanbag, I hated the movie. I know that the book is probably better than the movie, but I still have to erase that creepy Tom Cruise out of my mind, ugh.

message 23: by Rane (new)

Rane Beanbag wrote: "Dina wrote: "Thanks, Beanbag. :)

Agree! Many of her books do center around males with alot of m/m hinted throughout. Oddly enough I wasn't very attached to her Vampires series (although Marius will always be my main man) I really enjoy her Cry for Heaven novel then most

message 24: by Rane (new)

Rane You've got guts Dina, I was just really grossed out with this book (the money bags and the cat and the pony tails did it in) and really just skimmed to the ending, and left it at that, I look forward to your review on Beauty's Release

message 25: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Rane, I just had a quick look at Cry to Heaven and the story sounds very interesting. Have you seen the movie "Farinelli"? It's based on the life of a real-life castrato. Beautiful movie!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh, my! I feel scandalized just reading your review and updates. lol You are a brave one!

message 27: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina LOL, AJ! You gals are weaklings. ;)

message 28: by Rane (new)

Rane Dina wrote: "Rane, I just had a quick look at Cry to Heaven and the story sounds very interesting. Have you seen the movie "Farinelli"? It's based on the life of a real-life castrato. Beautiful movie!"

Farinelli? Hmm, I'll have to look that up thank you!
Oh, yes Cry for Heaven is beautifully written and a term I tend to use alot "tears at your heart strings" sums it up.

message 29: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Nice review Dina! Personally I find Anne Rice a complete bore.

message 30: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks, Scully. I'm going to give Interview With the Vampire a try. If I don't like her allegedly best book, I'll write her off.

message 31: by Auntee (new)

Auntee "...but Tristan endured it with strength and stoicism, becoming a better man pony in the end. *shudders*"

LOL! Oh Dina, you're a braver soul than me to get through this book!

message 32: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Auntee, I think I've become desensitized... Not sure that's a good thing. :(

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... I was thinking of getting one of her better known books, too. I want something scary to read in next month's October FrightFest Challenge.

message 34: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Would Interview With the Vampire fit the challenge? The movie didn't scare me one bit, but movies are rarely like the book.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... It might... it's Vampire, but I don't know if it's scary.

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Zosia wrote: "I saw Anne Rice interviewed on CNN the other day, acting like she was the most important person in the world. But all I could think was 'you write about spanking and leather phalluses lady. You're no Einstein.'"

It's interesting to me how she changes. She left her erotica and PNR stuff to go back to heavily Catholic writing, but I've heard - not substantiated - that she may start her PNR again.

I don't appreciate authors or actors/actresses who use their celebrity status to push their political or religious beliefs on people. I don't know if that's what she was doing, but I always think of Stephen King bashing Stephenie Meyer, like he's some kind of literary God.

message 37: by Rane (new)

Rane UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Zosia wrote: "I saw Anne Rice interviewed on CNN the other day, acting like she was the most important person in the world. But all I could think was 'you write about spanking and leather phalluses..."

Oh you can see on her bio here (taken from her site) on GR she says she's not a Christan anymore. Am sorry but that's a lot of BS. I've read alot of authors whom are Christians and write vampires, and heavy PNR and more.
Everyone has a right to their opinion but there's also a line of respect I feel alot of celebs feel that can cross. They get to big for the pants. I completely agree with you UM, I can't respect someone whom forces their beliefs on me.

message 38: by Fani (new)

Fani Dina wrote: "Would Interview With the Vampire fit the challenge? The movie didn't scare me one bit, but movies are rarely like the book."

Dina, it didn't scare me one bit and I was 15 when I first read it. However, I stayed up all night to finish it, hidden under my sheets so that my parents don't see the light and yell at me for staying up so late:) I've re-read it three times since. Perhaps it's the fact that it was my first introduction to PNR and at an impressionable age at that, but it has a special place in my heart. The movie didn't do it any justice at all IMO.

As I said, it's not scary, but it's dark and menacing and atmospheric. I'm not sure how it would feel now though, after so many vampires' books I've read, but I think you're not gonna regret reading it. Sad to say though that there is not romance at all in this one:(

message 39: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks for the info, Fani. I wasn't expecting to find any romance in the book, so that's OK. :)

message 40: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Excellent review Dina :D Yer wettin my whistle here ;)

message 41: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Thanks, East. I should start reading the 3rd book soon. Stay tuned. ;)

message 42: by Eastofoz (new)

Eastofoz Will do Dina :)