Kinga's Reviews > Głowa wroga

Głowa wroga by Augustyn Baran

Jul 02, 11

bookshelves: effing-depressing, polish, coming-of-age
Read from July 30 to August 02, 2010

There is little point of me writing this review in English as this book has not been translated and most likely it never will be. However, I am writing this in English rather than Polish for two reasons:
1) I believe book reviews are an independent art form. Therefore it's not important if the review reader can actually read the reviewed book or not.
2) I don't want my English speaking friends on here getting updates in gibberish - that might make them defriend me.
Now to the book. I don't quite remember how I came into posession of it. Probably some second-hand bookshop. I make a point of buying a Polish book each time I go to Poland. To stay in touch with my roots and stuff. Unfortunately Polish literature keeps disappointing. It invariably falls into one of the three categories:
1) the super sweet chick lit that is too sweet even for your usual Danielle Steel lovers
2) the never ending trauma about Jews and WWII
3) gloomy, dirty, ugly, vulgar and obscene books full of despair
'Głowa Wroga' (which means the Enemy's Head by the way) belongs to the third category. It's a collection of short stories connected by the their narrator - a little boy living in the countryside Poland during stalinism. In theory this should have worked. The stories had a nice bitter-sweet taste to them. However, what ruined the book for me was the ever present obscenity and vulgarity. It was all dicks, pussies and fucking. Every woman appearing in the book would have her pussy mentioned at some point. I understand that 12 year old boys tend to be slightly obsessed with the subject but that doesn't explain why all the girls willingly opened their legs for the boys and let them finger them. I don't understand what the purpose of that was other than to scandalize and offend our poor prude Catholic society. Baran failed at that too though, because I don't think anyone apart from me read this book. Actually, it turned out that on the day I decided to read 'Głowa Wroga', the author of it died. Slightly creepy.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Głowa wroga.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mieczyslaw (new)

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk Kinga's curse!

Kinga Ha!

Bad writers should fear me!

message 3: by Mieczyslaw (new)

Mieczyslaw Kasprzyk Oh we do!