S.D.'s Reviews > The Passage

The Passage by Justin Cronin

Aug 08, 10

bookshelves: horror
Read in August, 2010

Another take on the peril of humanity, this one in the form of a trilogy, which surprised me seeing how this installment is a gasping 800 pages. The villain, as usual, is the U.S. government/secret military experiments. The project is called NOAH, since Noah in the bible was 950 years old when he died (I do question the bible’s mathematics). The scientists believe if they just turn the thymus gland back on, which atrophies after puberty, they can extend man’s life span. But what they end up doing is creating a virus which turns people into vampires. They study 12 subjects, one of them being a 6-year-old girl. Since the experiment when awry with the older subjects, they have succeeded with the girl. Wolgast, an FBI agent ordered to bring the girl in, doesn’t like what is being done to her. And the vampires have found a way to communicate with the guards telepathically and succeed in escaping. Thus starts the annihilation of humans and the escape of Amy, the 6-year-old. Wolgast vows to keep her safe. In order to show the progression of Amy, the author skips ahead 90 years. Amy now looks around 14. There are pockets of survivors, many who are unaware of what life was like 90 years ago. Along the way they encounter havens of people, one that appears just a little too friendly and accommodating. They soon learn the vampires keep them alive to lure the next meals to them. Meanwhile, thinking the vampires are only in the U.S., our alleged friendly NATO allies have bombed and barricaded the water around us so no one will be able to escape to contaminate their countries. The survivors have no way of knowing if anyone else in the rest of the world is still alive. There are far too many characters to keep straight and favorite characters who die. I trust the other two books in the trilogy aren’t as long and hope the author wrote all three books in the trilogy before the first was released. If not, the author is just one bus accident away from leaving his readers hanging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Passage.