Donna's Reviews > Highborn

Highborn by Yvonne Navarro

Nov 02, 2010

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, 2010-read
Read from October 29 to November 01, 2010 , read count: 1

Highborn takes the basis for religion based around God and expands into an intriguing story that will captive a reader's attention and leave them thinking about what they just read when the book is finished and closed. I know that's what I did and I expect most of you will feel the same.

This story remains close to most beliefs and gives you an entirely different perceptive on fallen angels versus what's been introduced in this genre because fallen angels are not romanticized in the least bit here. Brynna was what you'd expect in being personality wise, she has lived thousands of years among the human race and in Hell...her emotions were closed off and compassion was not one of her finer points. She has come back to Earth from Hell, where she was known as Astarte but she's had many names over the multitude of years, to seek redemption from God for her past indiscretions against Him. Brynna is a fallen angel a.k.a a demon.

Brynna meets Detective Eran Redmond on her first day back on Earth and from there reluctantly works with to solve the murders by an elusive serial killer. Their relationship evolves, and this where I felt was the book's weaker point, when this relationship first begins. I had a hard time visualizing these two together because she seemed so alien to me with her lack of emotions and he came across a bit clingy...but as I said the relationship does evolve and by the end, their relationship worked for me.

Be prepared for turns in this story that will leave your heart pounding 'cuz overall Highborn is an excellent addition to the urban fantasy genre. I highly recommend this one.
2 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Highborn.