Katyana's Reviews > Not Quite a Husband

Not Quite a Husband by Sherry Thomas

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: girly-books, fiction, historical
Read in July, 2010

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Quite a Husband.

Catherine Is the quest to expand your HR experience going well? You seemed to like this one.

Katyana It is! I waffled a bit on this one... this is probably more of a 3.5. It wasn't bad, by any means, but it wasn't particularly riveting. I still don't know what I think of the whole second-chance romance thing.

My opinion on this book is probably colored by the fact that I read it overnight last night. I am a total insomniac, and I couldn't sleep at all last night, so I snagged a light, popcorn book to stave off sleep-deprived boredom. So it is possible that I was too mentally tired to emotionally engage much. Though I did cry when

***SPOILER***

her dad passed away.

Catherine That was very sad. The second chance romance doesn't work for everyone. I like it, but it doesn't work for me more than it does.

Katyana I didn't particularly dislike the second chance romance. It is just that it dampens the whole first flush of attraction ... the whole book ends up in a melancholy color, because it is painted by the heartbreak from before. This one, they were sad, not sniping. I think that worked better for me than the Corine Solomon story, where she was bitter and bitchy (and he was trying). Hearing the whole book from a bitter, bitchy POV was... too much. But hearing this whole book from a heartbroken POV was just so sad. And for me, at least, the idea that maybe they shouldn't be together looms. Like, is this HEA really HEA? Or is it just... happy for now, until the next fight?

I am sure I am thinking too hard about it. Mostly just trying to think through why it maybe doesn't play that well for me.

Catherine Katyana wrote: "Like, is this HEA really HEA? Or is it just... happy for now, until the next fight?"

I know exactly what you mean. I feel just like this most of the time. That's why the trope fails more than it succeeds for me.

Katyana But all that said, I didn't feel like the HEA in this book rang false. It felt like they were committed. I guess that, maybe, the reason it worked alright in this book is because they got engaged so quickly the first time - they didn't even know each other! And over the course of this book, they seemed to get to know each other. They built a real foundation.

Catherine I believe the second chance a lot more when they broke up because they didn't communicate enough or it was too much of a whirlwind. But if they broke up because of cheating or abuse I guarantee it will fail with me.

new_user If it makes you think, that's a good book in my eyes, but Katyana, it sound like you might like the sexy, happy kind of HR, LOL. I refer you once again to The Smoke Thief! LOL.

Catherine You should read Mr. Impossible (Carsington Brothers, #2) by Loretta Chase or Lord of Scoundrels (Scoundrels, #3) by Loretta Chase next!

Catherine NU's right, The Smoke Thief is a good one. It's written in a more fantasy style than romance style though. I mean the way things are described and set up.

Katyana Catherine, thanks for the recs, but I can't start in the middle of the series. I am practically neurotic about it. Are the first books good in those series?

NU, I actually picked up Smoke Thief at the bookstore Wednesday!! So it is now sitting on my shelf, giving me the eye as I try and decide what to read next!

message 12: by Catherine (last edited Jul 30, 2010 07:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine I forgot about Miss Wonderful, sorry! It's my third favorite out of the series. I enjoyed it, I just liked a couple of the others more. As far as I know Lord of Scoundrels is the first book.

Katyana Ah, cool, the scroll-over says it is book 3. Thanks, I will check em out!

message 14: by Catherine (last edited Jul 30, 2010 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Catherine Hmmmm. I just checked out GR's listing for it. It shows The Lion's Daughter and Captives of the Night as books one and two. I would have never guessed that they were connected. Where's the common link?

I knew the Lion's Daughter and Captives of the Night were connected and I knew Lord of Scoundrels was followed by The Last Hellion, but I really can't see how all the books are connected.

I remember reading The Lion's Daughter and Captives of the Night and I would not consider them up to her usual standard.

Katyana Well, cool, if you can't see how they are connected, then I can consider them not really a series. I am finding that to be the case, generally, with HR. Or at least, I noticed browsing the bookstore, that lots of books don't SEEM to be a series - nothing on the cover or interior would indicate a series - but when I pull them up on GR on my phone they are listing as book 5, or some godawful thing. It practically gave me an aneurysm at the bookstore the other day.

Catherine Some of them are listed as series because the side characters of one are the main characters of a previous book. I consider that more loosely connected than an actual series. Like the h/h of Lord of Scoundrels play a part in The Last Hellion. If I remember correctly, the villain of The Lion's Daughter is the hero of Captives of the Night.

new_user Oh, you picked up ST, yay!