Carrie's Reviews > All I Ever Wanted

All I Ever Wanted by Kristan Higgins

Jul 30, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: chick-lit, contemporary, humorous, read-2010, small-town, manipulative-friends-family
Read from August 23 to 27, 2010

It's been said that Shakespeare only wrote one comedy, then wrote 15 or 16 variations on the theme. That may be stretching it, but there is more than a little truth in that statement. So far, I have to say author Kristan Higgins has written 6 variation of the same story. If you've read one, you know the drill: Heroine obsessed with an unavailable and/or inappropriate man, and who acts on that obsession in embarrassing and sometimes self-destructive ways. Quirky family drama that often includes marital strife of parents; and clueless, unlikeable, or downright mean siblings. The heroine (sometimes hero) in a relationship with someone else other than the hero (heroine) for part of the book.

All I Ever Wanted is most like Catch of the Day. I happen to like this one better than Catch of the Day, because Callie had some backbone and the author didn't make her quite so pathetic. Also, although we still don't know exactly what's going on inside Ian's head, we get a better view than we ever did inside Malone's.

This book started out slow for me. It's short on romance and long on family/friend drama. I didn't care much for the side stories about Callie's family. The only ones I liked were Freddy and Bronte. I also got really tired of Callie talking about how her "girl parts" were reacting to Ian.

But to end on an "up" note: I liked Callie. While she was pathetic over Mark, she was also capable person who other people appreciated and admired. She's a strong character who avoids being the dreaded "spunky heroine." Also, Higgins wrote some hilarious dialog in this book. There are some truly wickedly funny lines! Very clever.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All I Ever Wanted.

08/25/2010 page 90
22.0% "Not sure yet what I think. Fighting the urge to skim." 4 comments

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane Stewart I love your Shakespeare comment. It's intriguing. I'd never heard that. The things I learn from the romance world. I also liked your comment about fighting the urge to skim. It says something. Great review!