Jennifer's Reviews > Pieces of Happily Ever After

Pieces of Happily Ever After by Irene Zutell

Jul 30, 10

bookshelves: fiction
Read from July 30 to 31, 2010

From My Blog...[return][return]Pieces of Happily Ever After by Irene Zutell takes a look at what happens when a seemingly fairytale life turns out to be horribly wrong. Alice Hirsch has it all: A new home in the San Fernando Valley, Alex, her husband of six years who is an entertainment lawyer, and Gabby, their beautiful 5-year-old daughter. Life appears to be going well until the fateful day Alice is recovering from an ectopic pregnancy and learns her husband is all over the tabloids for an affair he is having with well-known celebrity Rose Maris. Suddenly Alice finds the paparazzi camped out on her lawn while her husband is off trying to decide which woman he wants to be with. Pieces of Happily Ever After is well written with plenty of wit and charm. The characters are full of life and while I liked the voice of Alice, I was not too fond of her. My discord with Alice started with her pre-judging a mother who wore a Winnie-the-Pooh sweatshirt and it escalated when she was thrilled her 5-year-old daughter was making her way into television, the autographs sealed the deal. I think people will either really adore Alice or not quite care for her attitudes and beliefs. She is witty though, and I enjoyed her wit as well as her internal dialogues. Zutell’s novel raises many issues brought on by divorce as well as those looking to change their life, especially the issues of what to do when one’s life is suddenly altered, finding one’s true identity and what is important. Pieces of Happily Ever After makes for light and at times witty reading that would be fun for a light discussion group pick or for anyone looking for a fun afternoon of reading.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pieces of Happily Ever After.